Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Miracle-gro --> algae question

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by happypoet, Jun 3, 2011.

1. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Stay-at-home Dad! (I taught High School English in
    Hi all,

I'm setting up a 20long for Sewellia and Stiphodon Percs or Elegans. I would like a lot of algae, and I don't particularly care about the aesthetics of it (at the beginning, anyway. I'll work with it once it's established). I won't have any plants except some mosses for fry-food populations and a couple of big Anubias (since algae grows well on their leaves).

I've read that miracle-gro (the ubiquitous blue powder) is fine for aquariums, but causes algae blooms. Since this is what I want, can I add some to the tank during cycling? And if so, how do I go about dosing?

BTW, I have 40W, plus a decent amount of window light.

(I'll do a build thread this weekend, if anyone is interested)

2. excuzzzeme

excuzzzeme Stroke Survivor '05

Recliner Olympics Master
    I used Miracle-gro indoor plant feed (liquid). I add about 2 drops per gallon3 times a week with mediocre lighting and afternoon sun and got good results including algae. I was able to shape the algae to look like smoke coming from a castle tower. I still use it but at a rate of 1 drop per gallon, 3 times a week and my plants seem to like it. I have better lighting and no direct sunlight and no algae. I think the sunlight was the key ingredient. You could tell when I added the miracle gorw as you would see a burst of new growth when I used it irregularly. It is listed as 8-7-6 so you should be able to sustain algae with it.

3. NoMoreToys

NoMoreToys AC Members

Is this comparable to Excel Flourish???

4. Slappy*McFish

Slappy*McFish Backhanded fish to the face!
    Staff Member

No. Flourish Excel isn't a fertilizer. It is a source of organic carbon/CO2 alternative.

5. Mgamer20o0

Mgamer20o0 BobsTropicalPlants.com
    Staff Member

and a algicide

inka would be the one to ask as well. i believe in the summer time he sets up tubs with rocks out side for growing algae as well. smart idea.

6. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Stay-at-home Dad! (I taught High School English in
    Thanks, all. I've been asking Inka all sorts of questions on PM anyway, so I may as well continue! :)