Mudskipper compatability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snowland

AC Members
Jul 1, 2008
i find my mudskipper (australian, from the tropical north) prefers a 2-1 ratio of land to water, and try and make some little caves both under and above water for shelter. The tank needs to have a lot of uninterrupted space in order for the little guys to skip about freely without damaging their fragile skin - file away any sharp edges from rocks/driftwood. they thrive on variety so mix it up, i used coloured gravel sloping upwards to make the pond, and used knotted driftwood, and large smooth rocks to make up the rest of the land areas.

also they love to hunt and kill so i would provide them with some small crickets in addition to frozen bloodworms. remember they will eat whatever you throw at them so one cricket a day should suffice.

anyone else with mudskipper info pls message me!!

Riette

Registered Member
Jul 21, 2008
Hi, ok so I am extremely new to the mudskipper and have a question that might be a stupid one... but here goes

What happens to a mudskipper in cold water? I got a mudskipper yesterday from a shop and they were not to eager to give out information, everything I know they mentioned to me by the way. I am not sure if they themselves do not know much about them.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Cant really help on your query, others will chime in, however, if that is how you fish shop is, then i certainly would not visit them again....information costs nothing....and lack of information by a shop is disturbing...

Sorry, just wanted to butt in there.... :grinyes:

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
It depends on the species I guess, but I've never heard of a coldwater mudskipper - they are all tropical species as far as I know. You'll want to keep it at around 75-80 degrees F.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Welcome to Aquaria Central Riette! They are a tropical species so wouldn't think they would fair that well in "cold water". By cold water, what is your current tank temperature? Mudskippers spend more time out of water so I would just make sure the air above the water is warm at least (use a a full glass hood and aquarium light, that will add humidity and heat). Anyway hope this helps and good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store