Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

My bala shark died??

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by dizzy, May 3, 2006.

1. dizzy

dizzy Registered Member

Hi, my bala shark just recently died. I don't know why but all I know is the shark was swimming upside down for like 3 days. It started doing it after I put a little too much food in the tank. Why do you think it died?? The tank is 50 gallon and the Bala shark was about 7inches. There's still one more bala shark alive and he's 7 inches as well. I was wondering if I should by another bala so he can have a buddy. Right now I have 2 kissing gourami's and 1 bala shark in the tank. Appreciate the help as I am a new member!!
    thx
    JOn

2. DarkEntity

DarkEntity AC Members

Data Manager
    If a fish starts swimming upside down or what looks like looses its balance in the water then its generally a swimbladder problem.

3. Galaxie

Galaxie AC Members

RF Engineering
    Might need a bit more info:

How old is your tank?
    Any major changes recently?
    How do you filter your tank?
    You know Bala's grow to over a foot? so 50 gallon is the bare minimum for one, much less two + gouramis.
    Could you post your water readings for ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate?
    How often do you change the water & how much is changed & do you use a dechlorinator?

Sorry for all the questions, but these should be standard operating procedure for all tank-problem related posts.

thx

4. DarkEntity

DarkEntity AC Members

Data Manager
    He did state that it was swimming upside down. Which would point to a balance problem.

5. DaisyTattoo

DaisyTattoo AC Members

Veterinary Technician
    Was his stomach bloated? This can be a sign of overeating. We lost an ID shark this way. He ate too much of my mystery snail :mad:

6. graphicdesign_r

graphicdesign_r Tact is for the weak.

Certified Public Nuisance
    Look in the "species profile" section for bala shark and you will see that you

a.) Do not have enough bala sharks kept together
    b.) Do not have a big enough tank for bala sharks

If it happend after overfeeding, likely the fish overate and this put pressure on his swim bladder, misshaping it and causing the irregular swimming position. Another possibility (since balas are known for it) is that the fish swam into the side of the tank and hurt himself. Balas need lots of room and are vigorous swimmers, which is another reason larger tanks are a better fit.

I would suggest you return your remaining bala to the store and look into more appropriate fish for your tank size.

This site also lists 55 gallons as the minimum for kissing gouramis (which grow to 12+ inches), but I would challenge this and say a larger tank is needed. Especially for a pair, two foot long fish in a 55 gallon is pushing it.

7. Galaxie

Galaxie AC Members

RF Engineering
    Agreed. Looking for solutions though. Unfortunately, the fish is already dead. I wouldn't suspect that one isolated overfeeding would cause the problem though. Always good to have the basic background info. :thm:

8. dizzy

dizzy Registered Member

Ph 6.8
    alk 120
    hardness 250
    nitrate 200
    nitrite 0

Yeah his stomach was bloated. Here are some pictures that I took:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a video!!http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=x3tohd

Hopefully this video comes outt!!! :huh:

thanks

9. Primetime

Primetime AC Members

Holy crap the nitrate is HIGH!!
    Do a 30% water change every 12 or so hours DAILY until u get it down to less than 10! 200 is off the charts!

10. quenton

quenton Dennis Smith

Computer S/W
    I have bala's in my 65G (2) and in my 29g (2 -- waiting to move to the 65).

In both cases I had noted swimming standing on head, rolling over, drifting into strange postures.

In my 65g they gradually stopped doing that -- in my 29g (quarantine tank) they have been doing that for 3 weeks now -- but seem to be gradually (just lately) swimming more normally. I don't know if bala's are prone to this kind of thing or not, but my two experiences say they are.

I am waiting for a bit longer before moving the 2 newer ones to the 65g tank.