Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

My First Brakishwater Tank and Questions

Discussion in 'Brackish' started by Fishfriend1, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Fishfriend1

Fishfriend1 Fishlover Extraordinaire

Service Associate at Giant
    Feb 11, 2015
    So, I'm starting my first ever brackish tank. I've done fresh, i've done salt, so I figured how hard can it be to do a half-n-half tank? Plus, I have a decent amount of extra salt water and a 30gal tall FW tank that can be become Brackish with ease :)

S0, the first inhabitants will be some brackish hermits and a lot of brackish snails, as well as plants that will do fine in brackish water. Don't ask for any names, can't help you there. Anyway, the tank is waiting to be moved and set up, so I have a few questions first:

Will I be able to call it "brackish" if it's got 15-20gal Salt Water and 10-15gal Fresh Water?

Would the 2 brackish hermits and 4 brackish snails be able to go in it right away, otr should I wait? (they are in a holding tank right now, with the water they came in)

What kind of acclimation process should I go with, drip is my preffered?

What kinds of fish could I eventually put in with them?

If I had a massive piece of driftwood, would I need to take it out of the 30gal or can it stay even though it's a FW driftwood?

Thanks and I am hopeful for my first Brackish Tank!

2. Fishfriend1

Feb 11, 2015
    *sigh* guess I'm going in blind then...

3. londonloco

londonloco AC Members

Aug 16, 2013
    I've done a brackish tank once, but it was about 8 years ago. I remember the amount of salt was not hit or miss, you have to target a specific SG, using a hydrometer or a refractameter is the easiest way. I'd suggest googling how to set up a brackish aquarium, def do not "go in blind".

4. TabisFish

TabisFish AC Members

Kidsitting
    Sep 11, 2012
    +1 it's a specific SG... You can't just add half saltwater half freshwater haha

5. spencerguy1

spencerguy1 I dont do Tuesdays.

Jun 17, 2014
    maybe keep what you have and get one archer fish, great fish, but that would rule out anything else. might get too big though... too bad you cant get a puffer, they would kill your hermits and snails...

6. Fishfriend1

Feb 11, 2015
    This is the SG I needed: 1.005 and 1.010. This is the SG I have: 1.012. Not to far off am I? Thank you dumb blind luck :) Besides that, brackish can range from true water (1.0) up to Salt Water (1.020) though I will be trying to keep it in the optimal range of course.

For final stock, I was thinking to try my 3 female mollies in the brackish (apperently they are brackish fish). Also, what about 2-3 Bumble Bee Gobys? Archer fish will get WAY to big (looked it up, max size 1ft) needing a 100gal tank when they grow up. Of course, my sources don't tell me the specific gravity that a bumble bee goby needs... figures. Well, a nice long drip aclimation should cover that, right? Puffers look awesome, maybe in the future.

Finally, the tank has driftwood and plants that will do fine in the brackish conditions (mostly sea-weed). I rnsed them out in tap water since they come directly from a tide pool at the beach.

Okay, think that's everything :D

7. flossyfloofloo

flossyfloofloo AC Members

shotblaster and paint sprayer
    Apr 27, 2014
    that more stable you can keep your SG the better for your fish . some species of arches stay around 6-8 inches , so keep looking at the proflies . BB gobies do better at the higher end of brackish , around 1.014 - 1.018

8. Fishfriend1

Feb 11, 2015
    Thanks, I'll try to keep the SG very stable. And I will look for smaller Archerfish. If I can't find any then I will stick with bumblebee fish and simply increase the SG a little.

9. spencerguy1

spencerguy1 I dont do Tuesdays.

Jun 17, 2014
    i want an archerfish so bad, but i dont have the resources. all i know is that they like the top levels of the tank and are jumpers. in the wild, they spit water at bugs and spiders to knock them into the water and eat them. thats how they got there name. im not sure that they would do that in an aquarium...

anyway it looks like this thread is going somewhere. i cant wait to see the final product. keep me posted!:):thm::dance:

10. Khemul

Khemul Sea Bunny

Nov 23, 2014
    If you can, get a species name on the Bumblebee Gobies. There are a bunch of species that are given that common name. They range from freshwater to high-end brackish depending on which species you are looking at. You need to know which species you are working with, then you can figure out what SG they'll prefer.