Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

My first saltwater tank build

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Only (FO) / Fish Only With Live Rock (' started by homedog98, Jul 19, 2011.

1. homedog98

homedog98 AC Members

Jul 6, 2014
    I'm new to the forum and saltwater, so I'm not sure this thread will be all too popular, but anybody that can help me will be greatly appreciated! Here's my plan:
    10 gallon tank, I'm using an HOB aquaclear 30 filter.
    I'm using a heater, a 50 watt.
    I'm using a 425 powerhead
    I was thinking 12 pounds of rock, probably 4 live, 8 base
    Now for my first (of many) questions lol:
    Am I missing anything? (other then a skimmer)

For stock, I was thinking something along these lines:
    1 yellow watchman goby
    1 oscerellis (sp?) clown
    3 sexy shrimp
    1 cleaner shrimp

Now for my stock questions:
    Can I have a hermit crab?
    Is there a difference between the hermit crabs you see in an on land habitat, or are the fully aquatic ones the same thing?

I'm excited that saltwater is turning out easier then I thought it'd be, but I'm still researching and am looking for any advice I can get!
    Thanks,
    Lauren

2. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

high school/ going to be a vet or zoologist
    Jun 30, 2014
    i would only do a clownfish in a 10 gallon. also the hermits arent the same. they even look different. i think you could have 1 or 2. your gonna need salt and a hydrometer or refractometer. the rock sounds good. you might want to add another powerhead but it's not neccassary. i dont have a saltwater tank yet but before i got my red claw crabs crabs i was going to set one up.

3. Khemul

Khemul Sea Bunny

Nov 23, 2014
    Tricky questions. The short answer is, yes there is a difference and most of the ones you'll see sold as 'fully aquatic' are fully aquatic. There are some larger ones that are commonly sold that are 99% aquatic (although they never need to get onto land) but you really don't want one of those with a tank that size anyways. As for whether you want one of the smaller ones...it depends. All crabs are at best "mostly safe". The blue-leg hermits seem about the safest, but even they have their drawbacks. All hermits need shells, which snails greedily hold onto with their lives.

4. homedog98

homedog98 AC Members

Jul 6, 2014
    oh yeah! I forgot about the refractometer lol. I'm definitely getting one of them. As for the hermits, I guess I don't really want them, I was just curious as to what the difference was and If I could have one. For the stock stuff, I'd rather have the goby then the clown.

5. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

Jun 30, 2014
    ok that's fine you just cant do both. i personally would do dwarf seahorses if i had the money

6. homedog98

homedog98 AC Members

Jul 6, 2014
    I actually know a place that sells them... Could I do those instead of the clown? Could I still do the goby if I did them?

7. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

Jun 30, 2014
    i dont think so, but lets see what the people say. id just do 6 dwarf seahorses though.

8. stephcps

stephcps AC Members

Thursday at 1:31 PM
    Seahorses are probably the only reason I would do a salt tank. They are so amazing. But I understand them to be not very hardy and difficult to feed.

9. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

Jun 30, 2014
    i think they will only eat live food right?

10. homedog98

homedog98 AC Members

Jul 6, 2014
    i'll do some research, but do you think i could switch out the clown for a seahorse or two?! that'd be so amazing, but i don't think i'd do it unless i could have the goby... that's the one fish that has to be there. the others are totally negotiable :)