My review of the Sunsun External filter for 250g Aquariums HW-304A

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
They haven't carried that model for a while, most likely a pure marketing decision becasue the HW302 dominates sales due to its lower cost, although not quite as good in GPH & capacity performance as the larger 4 basket model, for the price difference 120% less, the difference in performance 30%, is much closer and harder for buyer to ignore.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
That is a good point Gunner. As a side note, the model I have I believe was rated for 250 gallons and I find it is great for my 72, maybe even up to 125. I would never use it alone on a tank that large though. As a matter of fact, I think it's about perfect for my 72, so I would say GPH rating should be mentally cut down to 1/2 or even 1/3.

The new smaller 3 baskets would most like be sufficient for a 30-55 but any larger tank and I would most likely double up.

hostilegiraffe

Hostile Giraffe
Jul 6, 2010
Mississippi
Real Name
Brandon
I got my Sunsun 303a about a month ago and it seems to be working effortlessly :grinno:. Its installed on a 55gal fresh. Below are some pics I took of cleaning the filter:

IMGP1669.JPG
This is my top basket, the last basket for the water to pass through.

IMGP1673.JPG
In here i have, from bottom to top, filter pad - 2 carbon filled bags - lava rock - additional filter pad.

IMGP1672.JPG
Here are my pot scrubbies, i have I think 2 packs for $1 a piece so as far as biomedia goes, by far the cheapest.

IMGP1674.JPG
This is my bottom poly fill filter media after about 1 week.

IMGP1681.JPG
Finally I have my clay balls that went under my poly fill seen in the picture above.

:welcome:

IMGP1669.JPG IMGP1673.JPG IMGP1672.JPG IMGP1674.JPG IMGP1681.JPG

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Wanted to pop back in and give a quick update. After 2 years and a couple months of constant use, the Sunsun is still running strong. No problems with leaks, hoses, or loss of power. I haven't actually replaced any of the media, just rinse and reuse. I was worried the off-brand wouldn't have the guts to go the distance but I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised. For the price, it's the best filter I've ever owned.

1998golfer

Registered Member
Dec 2, 2013
This review was great. I have a questions that I cannot find the answer to anywhere on le old internet. How much media do each of the baskets hold? 1 liter? 4 liters? I really would like to know so I know how much media to order. Thanks!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How much media do each of the baskets hold? 1 liter? 4 liters? I really would like to know so I know how much media to order. Thanks!
This model looks like my newer model Sunsun 302. The 3 black plastic trays are maybe 2" deep. It's tough to load one tray with pot scrubbers like shown in this thread, and still get the trays to lock together. I tried the pot scrubber route for awhile. A good bio media IMO, not good as a mechanical filter though. Too many spaces for unfiltered water to bypass. I've got a thick blue sunsun sponge in the bottom two trays and a bunch of different bio media in the top try on mine. Works well, just not a high flow rate filter by any means.

1998golfer

Registered Member
Dec 2, 2013
This model looks like my newer model Sunsun 302. The 3 black plastic trays are maybe 2" deep. It's tough to load one tray with pot scrubbers like shown in this thread, and still get the trays to lock together. I tried the pot scrubber route for awhile. A good bio media IMO, not good as a mechanical filter though. Too many spaces for unfiltered water to bypass. I've got a thick blue sunsun sponge in the bottom two trays and a bunch of different bio media in the top try on mine. Works well, just not a high flow rate filter by any means.
this is the sunsun 304a, much larger than the 302. I need the dimensions of the basket for the 304a

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
this is the sunsun 304a, much larger than the 302. I need the dimensions of the basket for the 304a
I was under the impression the 304A is the same as a 302, but has 4 trays instead of 3.

1998golfer

Registered Member
Dec 2, 2013
I was under the impression the 304A is the same as a 302, but has 4 trays instead of 3.
Nope. the 302 is 232mm wide, the 304a is 290mm wide. I just need someone with the sunsun 304a (the OP of this thread or other) to tell my how much media fits in the baskets

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
As a ballpark, given how those pot scrubbers seem to nicely sit on end, those 304 trays look to be a good ~3" deep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store