Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

my sick dwarf gourami

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by tbone, Feb 15, 2005.

1. tbone

tbone AC Members

Chef
    I started my fish hobby a few months ago I tried to inform myself as much as i could but made a few mistakes so far, but for the most part am doing ok untill now.

I have a 20 gallon with an aquaflow 150, 1 auquaglow 18 inch light, a bunch of plants that I cant remember the names of. Temp is a steady 26 celcius. Ph is 7.3. Ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites at acceptable levels with weekly 20% water changes, and regular testing. General hardness is 40 and carbonate hardness is 60 mg. There are 2 gold algea eaters, 2 butterfly rams male/female, 5 phantom tetras and 4 dwarf gouramis(yes I realize I made a mistake here with the number of gouramis, I let the salesperson talk me into it being fine) I since stopped shopping at this big box pet store. I found a local smaller fish store that seems to have a genuine care for fish. But i got the gouramis first. I let the tank cycle for a week with no fish then I added the plants for a couple of days then i added the gouramis. a few days later i added the algea eaters waited a week and added the phantoms then finally adding the rams later.

Everyone in the tank was doing great apart from a little aggression from the gouramis but not exxesive, now that they have their territories sorted out there getting along fine. But the other day I found one gourami swimming funny. He was swimming perpendicular, upside down with his head up then down. I did research and found that he may have a swim bladder problem, or else the other fish would show signs(i think) So i tried doing the thawed pea thing but he would not even touch it. Now hes gotten much worse and I fear he may succom. He started spasming and contorting to one side hed almost curl up an touch his back fin to his mouth. Then i think he gets tired and just lays at the bottom of the tank barely moving and brathing hard. I cant go to the good pet store because i work so many hours its closed by the time im off work. I'm nearing my days off but now hes gotton worse to the point i fear theres no hope. It litterally sickens me to watch him as I am sure hes in much pain. I do not have the money to buy a hospital tank with filtration and everything. This is my last ditch effort to find help...too bad i didnt find this forum sooner. I hope someone can help. I dont want to watch him suffer anymore If he can be saved I would like to.