Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Need Help!!! Want to start Plant Tank w/sturgeon...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by The.Kid9, Apr 6, 2012.

1. The.Kid9

The.Kid9 AC Members

May 9, 2012
    Hi, I am kinda new here and have a few questions to ask.
    1) if i was to start a planted tank and start with LOW light plants would i need to have a light for the tank, or can i use the light in the room for it?
    2) can a low light planted 55gal long tank have a sterlet sturgeon about 5-6inch in it?
    3) would fish would be most recommended for a planted tank?

these are my questions atm...more are most likely to pop up afterwards...TIA...

2. Cathan

Cathan AC Members

Jul 23, 2013
    PLO think a 6700k light fixture would be better than the normal light in a room. It cannot have a sterlet sturgeon in my opinion. Neon tetras and shrimps/snail would be ideal :D or any tetras/schooling.

3. The.Kid9

The.Kid9 AC Members

May 9, 2012
    Thanks...and can you tell me why it cant have a sturgeon in your opinion???

4. Cathan

Cathan AC Members

Jul 23, 2013
    They grow up to 5 feet in what I read. I think it'll need more room. I'd give it a min of 100 gallons so it'll be happy.

5. The.Kid9

The.Kid9 AC Members

May 9, 2012
    Thanks...apparently im trying to grow it out in the 55gal and is on the road of trying to get a bigger tank...as for now if i was to start the planted tank my only concern is will it try to eat my plants...

srry if it seems like im a hard-headed person but MAYBE since the sturgeon is still little, i just think that it can be placed in a 55long tank until it grows a little bit bigger....

6. AquaticAustin

AquaticAustin AC Members

Full time student at UF vet school
    May 2, 2015
    You can stunt its growth by putting it in a tank far far to small for such a huge fish. It will be smaller and live a much shorter time in addition to being more prone to disease. Also it is NEVER a good ide a to buy a fish that you know is to big and have to upgrade to accomodate it. Because its probably not going to happen or it wont happen in time or a big enough upgrade. You also cant count on being able to rehome it even for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

7. Cathan

Cathan AC Members

Jul 23, 2013
    Well, sooner or later it's either a tank upgrade ( fun ) or let go if it ( not fun ).

Im sure for now it'll be fine. And I don't think you should turn it into a planted with that in their. Has a chance if eating it.

8. The.Kid9

The.Kid9 AC Members

May 9, 2012
    Ok thanks...