Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Wateveryousay

Wateveryousay AC Members

Last Activity:
    Apr 30, 2014
    I am wanting to start a new saltwater aquarium, I am an experienced freshwater aquarium keeper. I would like to do a 10 gallon FOWLR with lots of live rock. I would like to use live sand if that is the proper substrate, I've read different things. I've also read that if I have all live rock a filter is not needed and could even cause occasional ammonia spikes. Are these things true? And i was wondering if anyone knows of any cool inverts or other creatures that actively interact with their environments. Thanks

2. jared185

jared185 AC Members

Last Activity:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Honestly if I were u I would go with at leats a 30 gallon a 10 gallon is cheaper but also a lot more work and not as stable in water chemistry as a larger aquarium also it limits you on a lot of fish as most cannot live in a 10 gallon. As for the live rock filtration it does filter water but is not adequet a filter will be necessary as it helps to remove a lot of unneeded waste but trust me look on Craigslist and find a bigger tank if possible you will not be sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

3. jared185

jared185 AC Members

Last Activity:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Oh yes and live sand is a good all around substrate the best in my book but some people like crushed coral and other substrates

4. Wateveryousay

Wateveryousay AC Members

Last Activity:
    Apr 30, 2014
    Yes, I've read that larger tanks would be easier, but I would like to do a smaller tank, I don't mind the water chemistry.

5. jared185

jared185 AC Members

Last Activity:
    Mar 8, 2012
    As long as you don't mind the water problems then by all means go ahead I have heard I don't know the name but I've heard of a seabirds that does beat in a 10 gallon it only get 2.5 inches if you are into those they have nice ones at WWW.swseahorse.com and there captive bred so they are very hady and forgiving of water conditions I just looked up the name its call h. Zosterae or dwarf seahorse

6. RNeiswander

RNeiswander Bunned

Forklift repair tech
    Last Activity:
    Jun 19, 2014
    I'd recommend reading some of the stickies in the general marine section.

If I was starting out, I would at least do a 20 gallon long if possible, opens up stocking and lighting options a bunch. And stay away from crushed coral substrate, which you will see in the sticky.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

7. greech

greech AC Moderators

Environmental Assessments and Remediation
    Last Activity:
    Jan 29, 2015
    My take on tanks less that 20 gallons is that you should really have livestock in mind that you want to keep in a small tank for a while. It isn't so much the water quality concerns (assuming the tank owner is committed to doing the necessary maintenance) as much as the cost to setup not one but two tanks should you decide that you want to uprade after a couple of months. Chances are you are looking at buying more (or larger) pumps, filters/skimmers and lighting at a minimum if you get bored with the 10-gallon. Essentially you're buying equipment twice over a fairly short period of time. As RNeiswander mentioned you are also limited on livestock choices and the overall number of anmials you can keep in these size tanks is also limited. You mentioned this being a FOWLR and unless you go with micro sized fish, your looking at 1 to 2 fish total. Also, clownfish are not good fish for a 10-gallon if that is what you are considering.

None of this means that you can't have a great looking 10-gallon tank. You could load it up with inverts like sexy shrimp and maxi-mini carpet nems which really looks stunning IMO. If you stick with the 10 gallon, keep it simple and use it as a test for whether you want to stick with the hobby. Good water, good rock, good flow and a heater is all you need. I would suggest adding at least a HOB filter like an Aquaclear 50 or 70 (or even a 110) to run some mechanical filtration (will need to be cleaned or replaced often) and some carbon and/or GFO. The trick to using these filter is to keep them clean so that detrtius doen't collect.

8. Wateveryousay

Wateveryousay AC Members

Last Activity:
    Apr 30, 2014
    The 20 gallon long seems like a good idea, I will be using all live sand and live rock. As for stock, at this point I'm leaning towards a pair of clownfish, and a firefish along with inverts. As for equipment, does this list work?

Powerhead
    Filter
    Tank
    Top/Light
    Live Rock
    Live Sand

Will that work until i am cycled? How do I add salt to the water and is there a test I need to make sure I'm balanced?

9. jared185

jared185 AC Members

Last Activity:
    Mar 8, 2012
    The thing u need to check salinity is called a hydrometer and yes the equipment will work but if ur planning on having corals u need a high output light something made for corals

10. blue2fyre

blue2fyre Blue Fish

Last Activity:
    Jan 26, 2015
    Save yourself a possible head ache and get a refractometer. They are more accurate than Hydrometers. I think a 20 long would be perfect!