Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

New Gravel and Brown Algae

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by tackful, Mar 7, 2012.

1. tackful

tackful AC Members

Have any of you ever gotten brown algae after adding new gravel to the tank? I have no algae at all on the glass, but it's all over this new gravel.

2. AfishIonado

AfishIonado AC Members

Cake Decorator
    Cant say I have, did u wash it before you put it in the tank? Did you get it from your LFS?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

3. tackful

tackful AC Members

No, didn't wash it; yes, got it from LFS.

4. DGC

DGC All in One

has not happened to me but i have always washed new gravel, use a python when cleaning/water change, it shouldnt last long

5. cradlefan

cradlefan AC Members

Algae always grows on bare surfaces easier. I would say just because it's new, there is a bit of algae, but it should go away. Is this a new tank, or did you just change all the substrate? If it's new, it's just cycling, if it's a cycled tank and you changed all the substrate out at once with new substrate, then it might be cycling again and this might just be an algae bloom. Did you check your parameters?

6. tackful

tackful AC Members

It's an established tank, and all I did was to add a shallow layer of this gravel on top of the existing substrate for appearance' sake. Everything else is the same.

7. unseenone00

unseenone00 AC Members

Part-Time LFS worker!
    get a couple of otos if you can, they will eat those brown diatoms right up (unless it is a cichlid tank)