New Tank really high PH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sharky2015

Registered Member
May 31, 2015
Ontario
I've read a lot of the newbie threads and just wanted to find out if I'm on the right track here. I set up my new 37 gallon freshwater tank (had a successful 20 gallon tank a few years ago but I am very rusty) a few days ago; I dosed the water with Nutrafin Cycle for 3 days and added 4 guppies yesterday.

I am using API's Freshwater Master Test Kit to test the water daily and until today the results were a high PH 8.8 or above (!!!), Ammonia 0, NO2 0 and NO3 0; today the PH is still the same, NO2 is 0 but I'm questioning the NO3 result - colour appears somewhere between 0 and 5.0 ppm. This does not even seem possible as it has only been a few days.

The water appears slightly cloudy but I've seen worse; nevertheless I did a 10% water change this morning; should I change a bigger percentage?

I'm concerned about the PH level but I've read that it is better to keep this stable rather than try to mess with it. My tap water reads in at 7.4, and this makes me wonder what is in my tank that is making the PH rise to such a high level? Could my sand or decorations be causing this? If so should I remove of add anything? I've read about the addition of peat but opinions seem to differ quite a lot about the impact of this method and I am not sure that I want to do this at this point, especially if it will not really help.

The guppies have now been in the water 24 hours and are still very lively and seem to be exploring their environment quite happily. I have 2 Cobra Guppies whose colour has not changed, and 2 Turquoise Guppies who have faded just a bit but are otherwise vigorous.

Finally the kit I purchased included an external filter (Aqueon QuietFlow 30); is this sufficient for my setup or should I be doing anything else to supplement the filtration?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Is the tap sample on water that set out overnight to gas off?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
please do so..overnight.
Also, what is your substrate and décor..they can affect pH...
Cloudy can be a normal bloom from a new tank that will go away on it's own...

Reactions: Anders247

Sharky2015

Registered Member
May 31, 2015
Ontario
please do so..overnight.
Also, what is your substrate and décor..they can affect pH...
Cloudy can be a normal bloom from a new tank that will go away on it's own...
Thanks, I will. The substrate is a 3 inch layer of 1mm aquarium sand (National Geographic brand); unfortunately that is all I know on this; the decorations are a greek column theme (purchased at Pet Smart) that appear to be made of resin, and quite a few plastic plants - I did not purchase any live plants yet - perhaps I should, but with the substrate that I now have I guess I would have to settle for potted plants?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Many plants will do well in straight sand..you may have to augment with root capsules or water column ferts...was just checking to see if anything might be swinging the pH beyond your natural tap conditions.

Sharky2015

Registered Member
May 31, 2015
Ontario
OK thank you! I will see which plants my local shops have and go from there. I'll also post my tap water pH tomorrow. Appreciate your input!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
anytime...I'd get a bigger filter when you can...most filters are, at best, good for half their rated tank size.

Sharky2015

Registered Member
May 31, 2015
Ontario
Bigger filter now installed - water is looking pretty clear; my fish are quite lively still - thank goodness! pH still at 8.8 or higher, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate all 0. Do you recommend a substantial water change in order to see if this will lower pH? Oh, I forgot to mention, I did redo the tap water test with a sample laid out overnight, result 7.4, so it doesn't look like my tap water is to blame.

Sharky2015

Registered Member
May 31, 2015
Ontario
I set another bowl of tap water on the counter 48 hours ago, tested it again last evening - and my pH was again 7.4. I decided to try adding some of the substrate from my tank to this bowl of water, to see if it is what's causing the high pH. Stirred it and left it overnight. This morning the pH in the bowl has gone up to 8.4 - so it is definitely the substrate that is causing the high pH in my tank. So what do I do now? My fish seem fine, but shouldn't I aim to lower the pH to an acceptable level?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store