Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

New to cichlids- got a krib!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Sara3502, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Sara3502

Sara3502 AC Members

I have a 6.6 gallon tank with dimensions 24 inches long by 6 inches wide and 9 inches deep... I have checked everything with that site that checks how stocked your tank is and it says it works. I have had the tank running for 6 months and it is at perfect temp and ph for the fish. Today i got my first krib from a lps!!! They said its a baby one and I believe them because its only one inch long and also its a female. Its the only fish in the tank, except for a few ghost shrimp. it has a flowerpot, rocks, and live plants and a piece of driftwood. its very curious, looking at everything and swimming everywhere. All im wondering is if this is a good tank, and how old would you think the baby is and how long until its an adult? I am plannng on getting it a male friend soon, and also its not very colorful unless it sees something interesting and then its stripes turn black not gray. I really want it to be very colorful. Also its belly is not very pink. Please help and thanks! It will be fed on hikari cichlid gold and frozen bloodworms and occasionally spinach.

2. Sara3502

Sara3502 AC Members

No replies but 36 views? :(

3. iheartbettas

iheartbettas AC Members

i think most people would say that even though your krib is a baby, your tank which is only 6.6 gallons is way too small for it. Hopefully you have future plans as far as getting a bigger tank for him/her and future tankmates.

4. verbal

verbal AC Members

If you only keep the krib, you will probably be ok. Although it may decide to snack on the ghost shrimp when it gets bigger.

To get the colors you see in a lot of pictures, you will need a pair that is breeding, or at least courting. Even without the breeding coloration they are still an appealing fish.

5. Sara3502

Sara3502 AC Members

Okay, I am planning to get a larger tank but at the moment its in this one and it will be fine for a while based on alot of research... My thinking is because its as long as a 20 long and its not tall and the fish is a bottom dweller so it should love it for now

6. BigJohn

BigJohn AC Members

I understand your point about about the tank being long enough, but there is not enough volume in there for a full grown krib. It is also the footprint of a 20 high if I am not mistaken.

Kribs get a little tight in there, I've tried in the past. They get aggressive with each other.

As your set up is, the shrimps will become lunch soon enough, but being ghosts, it is no big deal.

I think you should aim for at least 36" if you want a breeding pair with other fish. It makes everything a lot easier.

When you do upgrade to a bigger tank, I would still run that little one. You could do so many fun things with it:

- Shrimps extravaganza
    - Celestial pearl danios
    - Dwarf puffers
    - one of the cool tiny boraras