Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

New to Rift Lake Cichlids, need help with stocking

Discussion in 'African Rift Lake Cichlids' started by flyingfox272, Jan 4, 2012.

1. flyingfox272

flyingfox272 AC Members

I have kept and even bred fish for over 20 years but I am a noob when it comes to African RLCs. Well I am ready to take the plunge, I will be starting out with a 46gal bowfront which I have just installed a DIY 3D background on.

I know this tank is a bit small but I will eventually be moving them into my 90gal tank when I have it set up just how I want it.(background, filtration, etc)

So what I am looking for are Mbunas(Malawi tank) which show great colors, have a smaller adult size and are fairly easy to keep. I have been doing some research and I'm getting a little woozy since I can barely pronounce the names.

How about P. Saulosi, Yellow Labs, and L. Caeruleus for starters? These are a few I have seen as good starters in other threads.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks!
    Frank

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka AC Members

First, never mix species that have the same colors/patterns. Female saulosi look too much like yellow Lab's. (Incidentally, L. caeruleus ARE yellow Lab's.)
    A group of 12 demasoni and some yellow Lab's would work with sufficient filtration and water changes. They're both smaller species, though the demasoni are such holy terrors among their own species that less than 10 won't work long-term.

3. Pittbull

Pittbull ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS

Sgt. Law Enforcement / Task Force 15 YRS
    Or you can do some Cynotalipia Afra's there are a couple of variants you can choose from that are nice looking, i had the white top Afra and they can be stunning, with these you could add the Yellow Labs AKA Labidochromis Caeruleus and have a nice mix..

4. livebearerfreak

livebearerfreak you are hypnotized! LOL

looking
    you posted that you wanted rift lake cichlds, and in your post you wanted malawis, think you got the title wrong lol, rift lake and malawis are two totally differnt lakes of species :) but seeing as you want malawis, why not go for what others said, 12 demasonis ( yes do NOT have less then 10...... learned the hard way, they will kill eachother tell ones left, most likly a male ) and 8 yellow labs with some smaller catfish ( cant think of the name but petrica er somthing like that? the smaller type? )

good luck!

5. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Graduate student
    Last I checked Lake Malawi is a rift lake in Africa...

And I think you are referring to Synodontis petricola.

6. dbcb314

dbcb314 Hates the Overstocking Police

go to school

lake malawi is an african rift lake....

7. Pittbull

LMAO Malawi and Tanganyika are both Rift Lakes Douglas, dude do i need to school you..

8. flyingfox272

flyingfox272 AC Members

Thanks for the advise, demasoni look great!

9. flyingfox272

flyingfox272 AC Members

Thanks Bro, these fish look great and so many variations. This is going to be a tough call.

10. Pittbull

LOL good luck with that my friend, its why i have 11 tanks right now..

11. toddnbecka

toddnbecka AC Members

Yep, so do I, and they keep getting bigger too. I remember back when I got my first 55, and thought it was a big tank after years of 10-29 gallon tanks. After I got the first 2 75's I began to realize what I'd been missing...

12. flyingfox272

flyingfox272 AC Members

I hear you, I have a 90 gallon and a 40 gallon sitting in the basement waiting for occupants...... My wife is thrilled.

13. Pittbull

LOL no doubt it is our obsession.. My wife is the same..