Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

nitrosonoma's & nitrobacter / anaerobic bacteria

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by telecubby, Oct 8, 2005.

1. telecubby

telecubby SIR

fluval 403 biological filtration & airation from s
    display tank is a south east asian moderate tropic
    if you grow nitrosonoma's & nitrobacter aerobicaly then what happens if you try lighting anaerobic bacteria/ does light kill anaerobic bacteria? the de-nitraters i've seen advertized are all opaque.

2. telecubby

telecubby SIR

3. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Information Tech
    Anaerobes won't survive in the same locations as aerobic bacteria. The anaerobes only trhive in low oxygen locations, such as in deep, undistrubed sand, or inside highly porous rocks. There's some evidence that aerobic bacteria can form a thin layer that protects the anaerobic bacteris underneath them--a layered bio-film on glass, rocks, or other tank items. Either way, the aerobic bacteria and anaerobic bacteria aren't a threat to each other. The oxygen levels are what really make a difference to the anaerobes, more than light. The opaque covers are used to prevent algal growth--since the algae producers oxygen, this can threaten the bacteria.

4. RTR

RTR AC Members

Analyst
    Agree w/OG. Oxygen is the enemy for anaerobes, their metabolism is geared to low ORP.

BTW, Nitrosomas and Nitrobacter are not the FW nitrification bacteria, but they and the real FW nirification bacteria are aerobes.

5. telecubby

telecubby SIR

thankyou but your beating around the bush a bit (but also helping to justify my suspicions)
    the coil denitrifiers i've seen for anaerobic bacteria have been opaique
    the filters for areobic bacteria are almost always clear or transluscent
    also deep sand beds & centers of lava rocks whereanaerobis thrive ar dark
    wich leads me to believe it grows in the absence of ilumination ony
    ?DOES LIGHT KILL ANAEROIC BACTERIA?
    thanks for the tip on somas & bacter,thought I was reading about FW I guess . I'le find out the names for the FW bacteria somehow
    anymore additions or corrections greatly apreciated,it's not like the LFS's reps can talk like this, but they sure are a friendly bunch!

6. RTR

RTR AC Members

Analyst
    You know, there is an old cliche about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar. Are you aware that you come across as vinegar?

7. telecubby

telecubby SIR

call that an answer SIR
    if you don't know ,why answer
    you must know how that comes across
    but alas this is fishtalk not psychology ,so why the speach lesson. Now your going to teach me how to speak. If you didn't understand the question I can rephrase ,theres no need calling me names.
    if we we on peace talks I could understand you overly critisizeing me but again this s just fish chat & i'm not calling you names yet.
    sour ,bitter, whatever you are insinuateing I am, the cliche was bread out of hatred, your fishing for a negative responce.
    You thought the cliche was the answer to better comunication ?
    We expect too much from each other, here I expect a straight answer,& you expect me to yadda yadda yadda .

8. telecubby

telecubby SIR

I can find that sort of attitude in any random chatroom rtr thanks anyways :bowing: wasn't what I was searching for .

9. TKOS

TKOS Registered User of Fish

Conservator
  10. telecubby

telecubby SIR

TKOS !!! I'de love to see a pic of your java fern & moss you've got going there in that 10g if you have any. thanks so much for the URL's ,not sure where you dug them up but I'le be buisy 4 awhile reading :)
    1 question I have is does your java fern shed alot of leaves? tahnks again !