nitrosonoma's & nitrobacter / anaerobic bacteria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I don't think light itself kills the anaerobes, but if any light is present, then algea growth would be inevitable. The O2 production by the algea would be what inhibits the growth of the anaerobes not the light.

As for your other comments:
thankyou but your beating around the bush a bit (but also helping to justify my suspicions)
I realize with your frequent one sentence responses to posts (often unrelated responses at that) you would have no idea the time it takes to formulate a knowledgable response to questions like yours, but let me tell you it takes awhile. When you follow it up with a "beating around the bush" comment, you are assuring that that person will never take the time to help you again.

Also, your response to RTR's critisism of your tone was unwarranted. For one thing, the comment was not overtly insulting or personal. On the contrary it was appropriate and on the money. RTR is easily one of the most knowledgable people on this forum, and I have rarely if ever seen him get personal in his postings. If he does it is for good reason. I suggest you take his advise or go hang out in one of those chat rooms you mentioned.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Aside from all other comments, OG answered the question, RTR has seconded it, and Mooman has written it out again. the light is not the issue algea growth is the reason for opaque covers, because algea produces oxygen and oxygen is in fact the issue.

Additionally Since nitrosomas and notrobactor are not the bacteria you need for a good bio-filter, And since it is somewhat of a common myth that these are the bacteria we want, RTR went the extra step of pointing out that the bacteria you are talking about growing aren't really the ones you want.

Since all of the answers were basically contained in the first two responses, it seems odd to me that this thread went where it did. I can assure you if you hang around and watch you'll see that RTR is never looking for negative responses. Like most folks he's here to help.
Dave

moonman thats the answer!!!!!!! I read that anaerobic bacteria can thrive in light but, as you pointed out, the algae would suffocate it .Very interesting.air kills it so an air tight seal woud be imperative as well. thankyou so much for not brushing my question off. I got more out of this thread than i could have imagined. I'm sure there exceptions but all this input has been very helpful.

in a cylander 4 example you can have aerobic bacteria thrive @ the top of water ,in the same cylander you can also have anaerobic thrive in lower area of water & in the substrate so the thread had to go where it did as the 1st response commanded otherwise without (IMO) or (IME). I knew I read it was possible(coil denitrifiers & flat denitrifiers)somewhere but thanks to TKOS i've found further evidence (diagrams) that prove it's possible. oxygen being the limmiting factor would have to be absent in the area the anaerobics are is all wich could be blocked off with sponge to block the air from reaching the lower area of cylander.As long as the air is used in top or blocked off you have both bacteria's in the same place(cylander)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store