Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Not so fun Trout fishing trip

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Rob24, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Rob24

Rob24 AC Members

The only fishing I really do, is: Trout Fishing.

I go a few times a week normally. We have some of the best Trout streams in the state. Normally I use barbless hooks as I don't eat them and don't like the taste of fish.

On Tuesday I had the urge to hit up the stream right after work. My co-worker and I had been chatting about fishing. I told him if I caught a few nice ones. I would bring them into him.

I went to the store and bought some new spinners. Headed out to the stream and began fishing. I decided since I was going to keep some of the fish I would leave the barbs on the hooks. About five casts later I had a 15" Brook trout in the bag. My first cast after catching the brooky, I some how managed to get a little close to my neck with the spinner! It got embedded just under my ear! I thought whoops... I'll just pull it out and continue on. BUT WAIT!! This sucker still has the barbs! I pulled on it a little more... then gave up. Walked up the bank and noticed another fisherman... I thought...Hmmmm, I'll have the fella take a look and see how bad it is. He looked and his eyes opened up a little bit and said "That things buried!" Oh great.. Now what the heck do I do? I wished the man better luck then I and parted ways.

As I was walking back to my car I decided to call my brother. I drove to his house with a spinner hanging out of my neck.
    The master plan was to curl the hook and send it the rest of the way around and cut it off.. But wait! I have some pretty important parts in that part of my neck! Bad Idea! Can we grab it with a pair of pliers and yank it out the way it went in??? Yeah, sounds like a plan! But then again... I thought better of myself. Any other part of the body yes... In my neck NO! Now plan "C" off the the Doctor I went. Pretty humbled, as I had a spinner still in my neck. I covered it up with a piece of tape to save my dignity.

Doc took one look at it and said " we have alittle trick for this" He took a piece of string and tied it around the hook and yanked it out! No pain what so ever. I thought heck I could have done that!!

On a pain scale of one to ten. I would give this whole ordeal a 1.

On a "feel like a dummy scale" I would give it a 500.

2. WeedCali

WeedCali Certified Dubhead

lol thats funny. i figured to doc would actually have some special trick for it besides yanking it :p

3. Rob24

Rob24 AC Members

4. dirtydawg10

dirtydawg10 Severum Mafia Don

Architect
    I've seen that trick done before and it supposedly works pretty good. This is a pretty good video though...it's long but you should watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WOGXkJazJM&feature=player_embedded#!

Either way would be fine above the neck I would think because it's just in your skin and won't be able to go deep enough to hit anything important.

5. dirtydawg10

Architect
    ^^of course I'm not a doctor either.

6. Captnslapy

Captnslapy AC Members

That's kinda funny as I had something along those lines happen to me when I was a teenager. I was fishing with a bunch of guys and the kid next to me casted his spinner hard to the right side of my head. Right near the temple area. I ended up in the hospital due to my mother freaking out and the doctors there had a good laugh. It was a bear to get out. Thankfully you feel little pain in that area.

7. coach_z

coach_z AC Members

glad it worked out well in the end.

I have always used the 'pull it through, cut the barb, pull it out' method...but then again i usually had to do this with: my calf, forearm, hand, foot, ankle, back and side.

8. annareiser

annareiser AC Members

mom / photographer
    and my husband claims fishing is relaxing!!!!! go figure :)

9. excuzzzeme

excuzzzeme Stroke Survivor '05

Recliner Olympics Master
    Remind me not to go fishing with you!

Glad you got it out OK!

10. dirtydawg10

Architect
    :rofl: