Odyssea CFS 500 Can-filter review and circumference modification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

taksan

AC Members
Mar 24, 2005
Australia
LOL I never did geometric surface area and hydraulic theory .... I guess I just can't get how less media = more surface area. The whole filter concept actually looks like one big sponge filter sort of like a FX5 without the baskets in the middle and with the pump raised slightly so the bottom debris that settles doesn't block the outlet. I'm unsure how biologically efficient it would be compared to say a SunSun 304 with 2 trays full of Seachem Matrix. I'll be interested to see how your review works out.

PS. There IS a version of this design kicking around with 3 large round media baskets and a more conventional pad setup sold under the Jialu brand in some Asian countries.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Id like to see that filter, but I can see how it would be possible as I will be introducing a simple basket.

To further explain why and how filtration and flow is more effective with surface area vs bulk in a given space is if I were to give you a efficient paper face mask to do manual labor in a sandblasting facility or wood pulp plant and after getting a new mask every day I insisted to save money you stuff your face mask with disposable tissue paper as a liner to make the mask last longer and work more efficiently since more paper equals better filtration, do you think it would really help? No becasue you would be chocking from the lack of flow and the lack of flow means less filtration.

Another example are your lungs which are very thin and very susceptible to collapse from even a pin hole, yet because of these qualities have an enormous amount of surface area to make contact with more air molecules. If genetically we were to thicken the lungs and within the same space easily fit 3X the amount of lung avoili, it would seem you would be able to breath much better, but in fact you would suffocate from the decrease in surface area. next time you throw away a auto, refrigerator, or air purifying filter, call the toll free number and ask why it would not be better to pack all the hollow wasted space inside the filter with more media and they will tell you that without that hollow spacing and large surface area the filter would drastically lose efficiency.
Canister basket filters that are chocked full of media are fun, user-friendly, and cool, but given the amount of volume they occupy they are at best OK at efficiency. No where near as efficient as a high surface area circumference basket or pleated filter, its just plain physics.

taksan

AC Members
Mar 24, 2005
Australia
For mechanical but bio requires slower flow I have new filter here I'm going to test called a Resun EF-2800U that is a very interesting concept as its a top motor filter with downward flow.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Handsome looking filter.

I have to tell you however that the greater the filter surface area the higher the water volume throughput but slower the relative flow through the filter membrane because there is more access. Also bacteria will colonize just as well of not better in a large surface are filter with slower relative flow but higher volume as opposed to a low surface area filter with low water volume throughput and relatively higher velocity pressures.

Like a river narrow restrictions cause velocity rapids with less flow while a river mouth that opens 10X wide to a river lake has tremendously more volume with slower relative flow. A filter with narrow in-line baskets is like placing a garden nozzle on the end of a hose, the restricted water stream may look fast but it is nowhere near as much volume as the hose with no nozzle and more surface area to pass water.:shakehead:

taksan

AC Members
Mar 24, 2005
Australia
Yeah this Resun looks the goods actually for that reason its got wide baskets that would allow the flow to go through a large surface area. I can't get my head around the fact its a top to bottom flow with a top motor but I'll open it up and figure it out.

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Gunner,

How condusive would this filter be to a cart mod effectively making it a larger version of the magnum 350?

taksan

AC Members
Mar 24, 2005
Australia
Gunner,

How condusive would this filter be to a cart mod effectively making it a larger version of the magnum 350?

Well this is a pic of the pump intake tube inside the canister from the look of it shouldn't be too hard to fit a filter cartridge to it in fact some might fit pretty close without mods. The outlet tube might have to be modded.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Gunner,

The problem with modifying for a cart is you cant DIY the membrane so you have to rely on what is already made. That and when you consider the Mag 250 already fills that niche why bother. The big leap for me with this platform will be making a plastic canvas basket similar but much larger and sturdier then the Mag 350. A larger more powerful version of the Mag 350 for the price of a Mag 250 would be awesome. And with the GPH it demonstrated will be able to handle tanks as large as 150 gallons and keep them sparkling. But not in this filters current config, the design begs for the surface area to be opened up and its max potential realized. A circumference basket is really going to make this thing shine. The problem is for most people once you tell them they will need a pair of scissors to DIY their filter padding and can no longer grab it off a shelf at 3X the cost, they lose interest. We are so dependent on having even the most minor things made for us, DIY has become for most a sideshow novelty then an interest becasue for the most part DIY is a dead skill.

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
I think this filter begs to be modded to accept a cart. Pretty much any design can handle the biological filtration, it's mechanical filtration that is lacking. I like the idea of a filter like the mag 350 at twice the flow and 1/2 the cost.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I think this filter begs to be modded to accept a cart. Pretty much any design can handle the biological filtration, it's mechanical filtration that is lacking. I like the idea of a filter like the mag 350 at twice the flow and 1/2 the cost.
Actually the Fluval 404/405 are perfect for accepting the 12 inch cart water filters with just a few mods. I developed one and called it my 404 Supercart. The rub is that unlike the Magnum 250 which can chnage carts in literally 30 seconds, a floor canister cart change out is a burden becasue of the frequency of changes. In my opinion a floor canister needs to have some endurance something a polishing cart cant provide and rightly so. The Mag 250 has the most convenient and effective method of cart polishing. I haven't given up though as Im working on a circumference plastic basket version for the 404 that uses blue-bond padding and poly-batten just like the Mg 350 for 2-3 month endurance. But if you want to see a floor canister that also begged to be made cart here it is, it works great but still requires too frequent a changing IMO about every 3-4 weeks.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218613&highlight=supercart

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store