Oto's strange behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

doity

Registered Member
Apr 4, 2015
I have 3 Oto's that I bought together at Petsmart maybe a year and a half ago. Yes, it is a miracle that they have all survived this long as all of my previous efforts with them were disasterous as they would eat all of the algae in my tank and then quickly die. Strange huh?

Anyway, the 3 I bought were my last chance with them and they were only a buck each so I thought I would give them a shot. I have a 27 gallon tank and lots of algae for them to eat plus I feed them a blanched green bean every third day or so. They usually scarf the green bean and after a day or so I have to toss it. I gave them their customary bean a few days ago and when I took it out 48 hours later it looked like it hadn't even been touched which was very peculiar.

I gave them another one last night and the same. It looks like they haven't even touched it. And another thing is that one of them is keeping near the bottom of the tank in the back and looks like maybe he is sick I can't tell but the other 2 seem to be swimming around as usual and maybe even eating algae which they hardly ever do......they usually just wait for the bean.

Should I be worried? I know there is nothing wrong with the beans as it has been the same batch for a couple months and they have been frozen. I am so worried about them because like I say I had basically given up on Oto's and then I get this group and they proved me wrong.

thanks,
doity

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What's your water change schedule and volume?

What are your readings in PPM for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

doity

Registered Member
Apr 4, 2015
I can't find my test strips but I change the water on a weekly basis. Usually swap out 8 gallons or so out of the 27. I am pretty good, almost obsessed, with keeping the tank kept up. I wonder if swapping out the carbon bag (I have a Aqua Clear filter) would help? It has been almost 3 weeks now?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't know your stocking level, but you might need to do more than ~8 out of the 27g weekly. 3 week old carbon isn't bad at all. I personally don't use carbon in my AquaClear filters. There's no point in using carbon unless you're trying to remove trace amounts of medication, etc..

doity

Registered Member
Apr 4, 2015
Well it is probably closer to 9 gallons weekly, so a 1/3 change. Is that not sufficient?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You have to measure your water parameters to know for sure. If your nitrates stay below 20ppm with the 9 gallon change, you're fine. Test strips don't cut it. A liquid test kit is best. An API Master Test Kit can be had for ~$30 or less and lasts for years.

Just trying to rule out a water parameter issue causing your fish's issues..

doity

Registered Member
Apr 4, 2015
I don't know, my other fish are just fine and feeding as usual. The other 2 oto's have stopped eating also. Though after lights out last night I watched and they did go to the bean for awhile. Strange, and I am worried as I have a lot of emotional investment with these guys. I would be devestated if they all up and died. I think that would be it for me as far as Oto's go. Too finicky and too much work for such a small fish. I will stick with the loaches for the cleanup crew from now on.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Maybe they are tired of the taste of the bean and want some algae. I seen all you feed is either the bean or the algae in tank.Try to give them some algae wafers. I don't seem to have any luck growing algae the natural way in tank any more, so I started supplementing with api algae wafers. Turns out that all fish I have like them, even the betta nibbles on it sometimes. Don't have any personal experience with oto's myself, so there might be something else wrong than just being tired of the food choices.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store