PALDARIUM VIVARIUM I'M UNSURE BUT I THINK YOU'LL LIKE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Absolutely delighted to see this brought up from the depths of the archives, and even more so to hear that it is still running, thriving and growing in new and unexpected ways. The definition of an ecosystem, is it not? :)

marshall02

Registered Member
Nov 29, 2010
There are a lot of different fish that will work in a 10gal Vivarium tanks. Some of my favorite are Glow Light (the orange guys) and Red Eye Tetras. These guys are hearty and easy to care for.:clap:

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Hello AC I find it hard to believe it's already been and hard to say it but i think 6 years now the tanks been running. If i'm off a year forgive me but i think i'm pretty close. And to answer the questions i'm sure to get yes the tank is still running and yes i still have the birds above / in the tank. As nothing separates the birds from the top of the fish tank. At first it was pretty cool watching Mom and Dad raising there clutches and it would definitely give the kids a rush seeing baby birds in a fish tank. But over the years and i can't even begin to count how many babies we have had. The wife being such decided that after all the babies we had had that maybe it was time to change the nest and lo and behold no more babies. seems Mom N Dad or probably just Mom are pretty particular about where she lays her eggs. But thats ok by us as having up to seven birds above the tank and in the living room area squawking even though a very light chirp or song. it's been nice the last several months with no babies. as soon as the babies got there colors of adult hood i'd bring them to the local pet shop. it got to a point that we were producing them faster then they could sell them. It was never about money it was just cool having the birds above the tank. Any who I think i said i'd try to get some updated pics on here a year or so ago and never did i will give it another shot. Good luck with your tanks, and what works for one person here may not work for another. I'm a firm believer in trial and error just think it through and be safe .

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Well here's the tank years latter and much neglected as my wife has been maintaining the tank. Don't get me wrong she's done a fantastic job for me i just don't have the time to do maintenance as i have been traveling for business over the last few years. The one thing that has happened in a negative sense is the bird food has allowed for an abundance of food for what i believe to be Malaysian turbo snails. But other than that there hasn't been any drawbacks to having birds above a open fish tank years latter. the white pipe in the upper right is for ease of water changes for my wife. Unfortunately the pump i use for transferring/pumping the water up from the basements has i back siphon check valve where the new water when first brought up has to be discarded for the first gallon as it is stagnant water loaded with what would be sulfur dioxide if i'm not mistaken as it smells like rotten eggs. A flexible tube that i use to vacuum the bottom of the tank. This is hooked to the pipe and discarded out the window. This also fills the tube to act as a syphon to clean the bird seed and control the snail population. again at least a 50% water change is done, and you have what you see in the pictures today.

tank 12-2011 2 1.jpg tank 12-2011 2 2.jpg tank 12-2011 2 3.jpg

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
That looks amazing, congrats on one of the greatest tanks I've seen. Very good job!

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Well i hoped no one would notice the date from the previous post thinking i was on my game getting the updates out lol. Thanks oz you caught me. Hey the tank hasn't Progressed at all it just is so can yeah blame me for not rushing to get updates. but then again it's more a time line then anything i guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store