Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Paradise fish help

Discussion in 'Anabantoids' started by AemaethUK, Feb 21, 2012.

1. AemaethUK

AemaethUK Registered Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Hello I have a 2 Paradise fish one male and one female and 5 mountain cloud minnows.

I do water changes every week at 20/30% with treated water the temperature stays at a constant 20-22, the tank is a fluval edge and has plenty of rocks and foliage for them to hide and explore, however recently the male has been hiding at the bottom of the tank and goes up occasionally for air the female is fine darting around happily and the minnows just do what they normally do hang in their school.

Just want to know whats happening to my paradise fish is he ok/natural to relax at the bottom or is it something else ?

2. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Graduate student
    Apr 26, 2015
    What size tank is this? Any readings on params (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.)?

3. AemaethUK

Feb 24, 2012
    I havent been able to check the Parms atm, however i've got it tested and supposidly the water is fine i did get the readings however it turned to mush when it started raining and got absolutely soaked!

4. AemaethUK

Feb 24, 2012
    so what do you think is the problem ?

5. FishesRWishes

FishesRWishes AC Members

Dec 3, 2013
    You need to buy a test kit that will check for, at the minimum, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Liquid test kits are better. You will need to cycle your tank, if it has not cycled already. There is a sticky in the freshwater newbie section on how to cycle a tank.

6. Jayhawk

Jayhawk AC Members

May 6, 2015
    I don't think you've told us the size of the tank. How much are you feeding them and is the male pigging out? My male black paradise fish will eat huge hunks of food and sit down bottom for a couple of days.

Eric