Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Paradise fish morphing color

Discussion in 'Anabantoids' started by TheAdmira1, Feb 20, 2012.

1. TheAdmira1

TheAdmira1 AC Members

Jan 6, 2015
    I got a pair of Black Paradise fish last week and they are awesome!! Theyre still young so their color is very light. I was reading that they have the ability to change their color semi camouflage style, depending on what color substrate they were over or their BG. I thought it was ridiculous, but Im watching ti with my own eyes now. I have light river stones as the substrate, so he will swim around more of a reddish brown. when he hangs out over the sponge filter he slowly turns very dark. At this point I almost feel like he knows hes doing it. He'll sit on a ledge of my driftwood staring into it, slowly getting darker, then promptly turn around a go swimming around wonce hes very dark. After his color has gone he'll go right back to it, turn colors and go swimming. WTF?!?! haha Ill try to get a video of it today, but its cracking me up so far.

2. cradlefan

cradlefan AC Members

Oct 7, 2012
    sounds cool, at least he is swimming tho.....

3. BettaFishMommy

BettaFishMommy finkids make me happy :-)

Mar 11, 2015
    many fish will try to blend in to their environment as much as possible, so your paradise fish going darker near the sponge filter doesn't surprise me at all, especially since it is a juvenile fish and feels vulnerable in a new environment.

my 11 inch tiger oscar (orange and black) will go a light grey in his black parts when i take away the black tank background and expose the white wall behind.