Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Percula ClownFish Mouth Problem

Discussion in 'Saltwater Illness and Disease' started by Robert04, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Robert04

Robert04 Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert

Hi folks. My tank hates me, though I love it.. So fight I will.

My clown fish has his mouth open and its almost white.. He is normal colours.. params are normal 1.023-24 salinity.. I've looked around trying to diagnose this with much failure for everyone just answers what params or some foreign parasite that nobody knows about so here I am hopefully I can get a decent opinion. :) Well he isnt breathing fast or hard..and his mouth is just swollen and open.. He is hiding in the back of the tank and I'd love to find out what is causing this issue.. if it is a mouth fungus or bacteria infection or maybe he had it out with one of my shrimp... Anyways any info is good info... I'll see if i can get my webcam to focus on the little guy for a picture..

2. Robert04

The one on the right.. the best pic I could get without grabbing the fish out of the tank.

[​IMG]

3. 7itanium

7itanium Banned

Student
    Looks more like an illness than an injury.. ill leave this one to a SW expert :)

4. Robert04

I did a water change today to see if it would help.. he died few hours later. My other one is showing similar symptons now his lips are pale white.. though probably at the beginning stage because they dont appear to be deteriorating or swollen at this current time.. it could be my immagination making me want to believe that he is now sick to.. they were mated.. unfortunatly. Makes me wonder if all the contact they made has spread the illness.

5. Robert04

Her mouth is now open quite wide.. and pale. the other fish do not seem to be affected by this.. I presume he will only last till tomorrow sometime.. the last one only survived 24 hours from the time I noticed.. and I spend atleast 2 hours a day just staring at my fish aquariums.. thats not inlcuding water changes and param checks etc. I'm certain now she/he is sick and on the same path.

6. 7itanium

7itanium Banned

Student
    OMG... so sorry

I wish I knew more about reef tanks-- all I can really do here is give you a bump

7. Robert04

Between mantis shrimp and this I wont have anything left other then a few snails and hermits.. I've become very depressed and unmotivated.. Hope things get better :(

8. 7itanium

7itanium Banned

Student
    dont let it get you down man... fish keeping has its lows and ups-- but the ups make it worthwhile

9. Roman09

Roman09 AC Members

One my perculas has the same issue. I saw it about 2 days ago only to be gettng worse. Mine is not white all around but more like it's in his lower mandible. Seems a little reddish pink also. I too though it was from an injury but I don't know now. Could it be something we fed? Maybe it's a parasite. When I bought it it was next to another one and he had a parasite coming out just below the eye. I bought another and it seemed like it cheered up. I added some aquarium salt who knows. I feel like popping it.. Kinds looks like. Pimple. What do you feed it??

10. Amphiprion

Amphiprion Contain the Excitement...

IT/sales
    Any way to get a good pic? It sounds as though it has escalated into an infection. I don't really want to recommend anything without being able to see it.

11. DanMegane

DanMegane AC Members

Builder
    I think I have the same problem too! The tank is 3 months old. I added a pair of clowns, 3 weeks ago, and noticed some fighting and their lips going white. The fighting stopped after a week but now thier lips are big and white! The larger clown seems to have some red spots aswell.

All the tests are good. I have 14kg of live rock with lots of life like, feather dusters, snail, copepods, mysis, possiable a flame scallopand brittle starfish.
    I also have some Red Planaria (flatworms), Vermetid (tube snail), Digitate hydroid, which could be the problem? Might remove them to be on the safe side.

Could this be an infection, fighting or being stung?

Ive included a photo of the smaller, less infected (?) clown. View attachment fish with white lips.bmp

12. DanMegane

DanMegane AC Members

Builder
    I think I have the same problem too! The tank is 3 months old. I added a pair of clowns, 3 weeks ago, and noticed some fighting and their lips going white. The fighting stopped after a week but now thier lips are big and white! The larger clown seems to have some red spots aswell.

All the tests are good. I have 14kg of live rock with lots of life like, feather dusters, snail, copepods, mysis, possiable a flame scallopand brittle starfish.
    I also have some Red Planaria (flatworms), Vermetid (tube snail), Digitate hydroid, which could be the problem? Might remove them to be on the safe side.

Could this be an infection, fighting or being stung?

Ive included a photo of the smaller, less infected (?) clown. View attachment fish with white lips.bmp