Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Possibilities of Breeding.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by Kaluden, May 28, 2008.

1. Kaluden

Kaluden AC Members

Design Drafter
    Apr 27, 2012
    I have been enjoying the hobby of keeping fish. But the thing is, I find that I am much more amused by this hobby when I have something that I need to fix, or need to figure out. So, rather than waiting and enjoying when my fish get sick or something (though hoping I dont get them sick at the same time) I have decided that maybe I should try breeding something!

I have already figured out where and how I want to make a basic set up since breeding doesnt typically require too much, in fact more things complicates things it seems.

My problem is that I can not decide what I wish to breed, So i will list my current cannidates that I have thought of to this point, most of which I currently possess and would only need to find mates for, others, are just interests at the moment. Give me your thoughts, no matter how off the wall, worse i'm gonna do is say its not going to happen.

1. Guppies, not the most exciting, but I currently have a breeding pair that has colors that I would like to get to eventually breed true maybe.

2. Angels, I currently have striped hybrid angels, which are cool, but there are soooo many options of angels.

3. Aussie Desert Gobies, Pretty freaking cool in my opinion, I only have one, I want more.

4. Albino Bristle Nose Teminicki, What can I say? they are just kinda cool.

5. Albino Cory, I enjoy them, especially when they bury their faces in my sand substrate.

6. Fill in the blanks!:headbang2:

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

2. Lupin

Lupin Registered Member

Office employee.
    Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
    Feb 11, 2014
    Praecox rainbowfish, cherry barbs, rosy barbs, white cloud mountain minnows, pencilfish.:headbang2:

3. Hollygirl

Hollygirl Overfilter and Understock

Part Time Vet Tech
    Mar 4, 2012
    Whatever you decide, make sure you have a plan on what to do with the fry. Will your LFS take them for credit? Since you enjoy planning, take into consideration that you will need additional tanks and equipment to care for the fry. Culturing live food might be necessary to condition the breeders (brine shrimp, worms etc.), and other live foods necessary to raise healthy fry (newly hatched brine shrimp, microworms). Good Luck!

4. Kaluden

Kaluden AC Members

Design Drafter
    Apr 27, 2012
    I have already thought out most of the equipment needs for breeding, I have a small room that I can use as a "fish room" its not a good viewing area, but it will work very well for keeping it the temperature I need, and has about as much room as I need to make a rack to hold a few breeding pair tanks and a few grow out tanks. If i do guppies, I pretty much have a giant mental plan for it.

5. SchizotypalVamp

SchizotypalVamp The REAL AC Mafia

College Student
    Nov 6, 2014
    Bettas, or, if you really want a challenge, bitterlings, which lay their eggs inside of freshwater mussels.

6. Hollygirl

Hollygirl Overfilter and Understock

Part Time Vet Tech
    Mar 4, 2012
    I raised White Cloud Mountain Minnows and it was a lot of fun. They are very easy to breed - they spawn constantly. They also come in a long finned variety which is really pretty.

7. Kaluden

Kaluden AC Members

Design Drafter
    Apr 27, 2012
    White cloud minnows may be an interesting possibility, but it would have to be the long fin variety, I find I like two things in fish a lot, Albino, and Long fins lol.

After researching Bitterlings... that would be a trip lol. though at the same time that would probably not be a horribly easy thing to accomplish, keeping mussels alive, and then managing to sell babies off without the almost parasitic mussel offspring attached to their gills.

I have also been considering Pea Puffers.

8. NickD

NickD AC Members

Software Developer
    May 11, 2012
    Zebra plecos. Very beautiful and lucrative. And then send me some when you have them.:drool:

9. Kaluden

Kaluden AC Members

Design Drafter
    Apr 27, 2012
    Lol, I knew someone would pop off with zebra pleco. I dont have the several hundred dollars to buy a breeding pair of those things, I would really love to due to the fact that you can barely ever find them anymore, but the wife would absolutely murder me for spending that much on fishes.

10. NickD

NickD AC Members

Software Developer
    May 11, 2012
    Think of it as an investment not an expense.