Possibly getting an ornate bichir

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish on Fire

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
California
Yes, I know everything about their potential size (26"+ max and more likely 20" in home aquaria). I have a good idea of what I'll be feeding it (sinking carnivore pellets, earth worms, shrimp). I know that they have the potential to be aggressive fish eaters if not fed well enough. The only thing is, the fish I will be getting is at most 2" in length and probably closer to 1.5". Anything I should be aware of in terms of difficulty of keeping such a small baby alive? Would it need any special care compared to a 5" juvi or should I treat it the same. Thanks and wold appreciate any feedback and personal experiences raising an ornate or another bichir from such a small size. Just concerned that I might be wasting $20 on a fish that could just drop dead because it was too small.

aquilove_42

Registered Member
Mar 10, 2015
I have an ornate in my 75 gallon right now and he's pretty easy to care for. I got him when he was about 5 in. But I do have some senegal bichir that are babies. There very hardy and adapt to water conditions pretty well. Just have plenty of places for it to hide, my ornate is very shy and usually is only active when the lights are off. From personal experience I'd add beef heart cubes to it's diet, my bichirs love them as well as tilapia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store