Pressurelized Co2 During Day / Airstone at night... Poll

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Running Airstone at night, Co2 During Day

• Total voters

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
How are you checking your c02 ppm? Drop checker or an actual device? I use a drop checker which is about always in the green @ 5bps in my 150 w/ wet dry sump

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I have a drop checker yes..... BUT I NEVER use it to tell me how much Co2 I have or if I have enough. There is no real way (well Affordable way for hobbyist) to fully and accurately measure the Co2 levels. Not with a drop checker or a PH monitor. In fact PH monitors dont measure anything to do with Co2 PPM. All they measure is PH level and change the Co2 amount based on PH. Problem with that is that Various things can effect a persons PH in their tank. KH and GH for instance. Not every ones water will have equal KH and GH so the readings you get for one tank vs the next will be different BUT yet with the tank that has higher KH and GH your probably adding twice as much Co2 to get the PH to move vs lower KH and GH.

The Issues with drop checkers are they arent even close to 100% accurate. I wouldnt even classify them as 75%. According to the color of my drop checkers my fish should be dead as it always runs bright yellow. But yet I have zero fish issues. Also Drop checkers are very slow to respond. mine takes 2 hours at least to reach full color change. In some cases your fish will show issues in 30 min to an hour. Next thing you know your gassing your fish but drop checker shows good. Alot of things can effect drop checkers as well. Placement, current, if the Co2 is highly dissolved vs lots of free floating bubbles (reactor vs Atomizer) KH of the water and a few other things.

I think alot of times we try to put a number on something with PPM of Co2. The 3 key things that should tell you if you have enough Co2 or not is this..

First your fish. If your fish are gasping rolling over and being gassed by the Co2 that of course we know is bad so we know we need less Co2. This should be the first thing we use. Adjust your levels keep increasing until you end up with a fish issue. Once you start to see your fish behaving odd and needing air back off the co2 to a safe level where your fish are fine. Let your drop checker reach its color. This will help you calibrate your drop checker for whats good along with the MAX Co2 level. At this point it wont matter what PPM you have. If your low in PPM you cant add anymore or you kill the fish. So PPM isnt important.

Second. Plants should help tell you as well. If you have happy plants, good nutrients and plenty of lights you should end up some pearling. Even if no pearling colors and growth should be matched to light and nutrient input.

Lastly Algae, Most all issues with Algae are related to low or inconsistent Co2 issues. Some are about low nutrients and such but alot of it really boils down to Co2.

Ive got my tanks dialed in. No Fish issues, GREAT growth daily, With pearling and awesome color. NO Algae issues. So this is how I measure.

BPS is another measurement we use that should get thrown out the window as well.. But thats a whole different discussion.

My 20 gallon and 29 gallon planted tanks each use 8bps, While my 46 uses 10 to 15 bps, and my 90 uses 10bps X 2. As it has 2 reactors. Id bet your 150 gallon could use more then the 5bps your using now. Especially having a wet dry sump.

Mhplease

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
To constevens,

I found this which I will have to try.

"Take a water sample from your tank and measure the pH. Now let the sample sit for 24-48 hours. Measure the pH again. If you have a 1° drop in the pH then you have 30 ppm of CO2. It works but it's kind of slow."

I have heard this before but am not sure what the 1 degree drop means, because I would think the ph would rise with c02 escaping not go down.
Anyone else heard this method?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Yes I've heard this method. But it has its flaws. If you take a water sample from the tank or even the faucet for that matter, how do you know how much co2 is already in it? You could have a cup of water with 3% or 10%. So right away your going to be off on the measurement of co2. Is it possible to off gas every bit of co2 there is in a glass of water? So given that if there is some co2% in the water won't also the ph be off for a correct measurement? Then what about if kh is off from one test to another on any given day? This to can effect the ph swing in your cup.

At one time I thought this would be an accurate way to tell then was shown its far from it.

I test the ph in my tank weekly. At night with co2 off for 4 or 5 hours and in the midst of day under full saturation. With my fish happy, plants happy and a drop checker that's bright yellow o get more then 1 full degree of ph swing.

Really I don't think its so important about trying to find the right % you have. Really i think its not that important. What is important is are your fish happy? Are your plants growing as much as you want? Do your plants color up like they should? Do you have low to no algae?

This is the stuff that's important. Not drop checker color or bps or %.

If your answers to the above were yes then the rest doesn't matter right?

Know what i mean?

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
The Relative pH meter method seems to work best for many..........
I no longer do that myself other than the dial in something close, then tweak and observe very carefully from there.

I know what excellent growth should look like.

That comes with experience.............or a lack of any fish:)

But I love my fish more than algae hatred.

None of my tanks use nor need night time aeration, they all have something much better: wet/dry filters.

I use a Hach LDO O2 probe and data log the levels, they are higher than any cansiter filter by 1-2 ppm and the CO2 drops down to 2ppm after 30-45 minutes of shutting off till the light/CO2 comes back on.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Hey Tom,

Im not sure if its just me but it seems sometimes we as hobbyist want to chase numbers.... Do you find this an issue? I know for me it was when I first started Then I decided what I wanted. Numbers or a tank that looks like it should and happy fish. But I guess my question is are these numbers really important?

And I agree.. Happy fish deal with Algae..

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Hey Tom,

Im not sure if its just me but it seems sometimes we as hobbyist want to chase numbers.... Do you find this an issue? I know for me it was when I first started Then I decided what I wanted. Numbers or a tank that looks like it should and happy fish. But I guess my question is are these numbers really important?

And I agree.. Happy fish deal with Algae..
I agree 110%, obsession with numbers is often the 1st mistake.
I ask the questions first.......then maybe later after everything is doing well, then go back..and see how well the numbers match between different set ups etc.
They really do not, they are often all over the place. Poor testing methods, cheap garbage test kits , user errors/assumptions, all these add up to make things very non standardized.

I focused on happy plants. However, the no#1 killer is CO2 and I saw tanks of friend's wiped out from misuse....but not careful use. I know some excellent scapers who are terrible with CO2 also, they add lots, but have no fish.
They add fish for the pic and then remove them. You are not an aquarist I do not care if you win the top scaping contest 10X............you still will stink in my book.

I would rather folks deal with slow measured adjustments with CO2, deal with less than max growth and algae etc......till they hit the right amount slowly, impatience gets the better of many.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store