Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Prickly Sculpin Tank

Discussion in 'General Cold & Temperate Water' started by Kaosu, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

Tank:
    22 gallons, glass, been up for 6ish months
    Filters:
    45 gallon hang on back whisper
    20 gallon hang on back whisper
    55 gallon air pump on medium disk
    Plants:
    Anubis, Java moss
    Inhabitants:
    1,4 1/2 inch Prickly sculpin
    2, 1/2-1inch prickly sculpin
    2 , 1 1/2-1/2 inch unknown sculpin
    ramshorn snails

Prickly Sculpin need high dissolved oxygen, and cold clear water,
    they can reach up to 11 inches but average 6-8 males being larger
    this tank is fan cooled with a simple window fan blowing down on the surface of the water, keeping the temp below 70o in the summer and around 65o in the winter.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG](pics of fish will be next post)

2. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

ok!
    Prickly Sculpin
    these guys eat every thing!
    night crawlers, frozen krill, blood worms, pellets, any type of fish i throw the tank, shrimp, clam chunks, scuds, and guppies...they love guppies ( i breed my own)

Collected her my self over a year ago she was around 1 1/2 inches and is now 4 1/2!
    here are a few pics of her...i love taking pics of this fish, they are little mini monsters with tons of personality
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

and the two prickly sculpin babies collected this spring from the same location
    the larger of the two sort of rules the tank when the my big girl is in hiding ...though it stays mostly in the rocks

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

and the two unknown the largest is the dark solid ..witch is about the size of the large one when i first got it
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]i have tons more pics...and even some i have yet to get off of the camera...so more recent once to come!

Enjoy! and any comments/ questions are welcome!

5. THE V

THE V Hiding from my children

Vegetable Seeds -
    Last time I went fishing one of those took my worm.

6. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Stay-at-home Dad! (I taught High School English in
    Wow, that is really cool.
    So the big girl doesn't eat the little ones? Are they
    "prickly" as in having some nasty defense mechanism?

7. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

yup she does!!
    these are survivors of about 30 i dropped in the tank as food this summer...4 have survived though im expecting one or two of them to make it to grow out..they have small places to hide and get out of the way of the all seeing mouth of the tank. Im upgrading there tank to a 55...soon ish maybe another 6 months or so..so if any one if alive them then they win!!!(if not off to collect again im hoping for a few females and a male to try my hand at breeding them)

and nope..all soft and squishy ..prickly is just what they are called, these guys don't even have scales.
    and here is another pic!
    [​IMG]

#7 Kaosu, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  8. BettaFishMommy

BettaFishMommy finkids make me happy :-)

they are beautiful and i must say a very interesting looking fish! now you've made me go google, lol.

9. captaincaveman9

captaincaveman9 Innocent and Pure!

Urban Warfare Instructor
    Sculpin are awesome fish, wish i had a tank for them, I loved cave sculpin.

10. aviva90

aviva90 AC Members

Student
    Amazing fish, amazing pictures!

11. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

bwahaha try googling salt water sculpin....if you want to see some amazing colors ^_^ though some of the fresh water get amazing as well

they are! my favorite fish by far ....

thank you ^_^ i have more there just stuck on the camera atm i love taking pics of my fish!..and ill have a new addition to the tank this week...i hope to add a paradise fish to see if my beast can play well with something she cant fit in her mouth...^_^*fingers crossed*

12. RiVerfishgirl

RiVerfishgirl AC Members

Nice pics :).

I posted in one of your threads on MFK awhile back (my name over there is ShadowBass), and I've noticed after reading about the pricklies they'll turn a dark brown or green with little to no pattern when showing breeding coloration (this also goes for some other species). So keep watching the dark green one to see if he ever changes colors and we might be able to identify him. He may just be another prickly sculpin, but in breeding color.
    I'm not sure whether you're keeping him with other prickly sculpin, but if not you may want to move him/her and see if you can get any fry.

13. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

^_^ yup remember you

the dark one is in the tank with all of them, its only about an inch and a half..so...got some growing before i can try breeding.
    Another two years maybe...seeing as the large one..that im sure due to body shape so far is a female is about a year ahead of him being 4 1/2 inches and hes at 1 1/2..so they got some catching up to do before attempting that.

But!!! i did net him out a few days ago and got a closer shot of him.
    [​IMG]

14. RiVerfishgirl

RiVerfishgirl AC Members

First I looked I thought the pectoral fins were ovelapping the ventral fins, but now I see that's a pretty clear shot. So I should be able to get an I.D.

#14 RiVerfishgirl, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  15. RiVerfishgirl

RiVerfishgirl AC Members

Mottled sculpin. Not enough anal fin rays for a prickly, and all other characteristics match.

16. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

yay!!! so glad that pic helped it was a pin trying to catch it and get that shot, im guessing the other dark 'unknown' sculpin would probably be a mottled as well..might be a while still till i can get shots for that one as well..its just a little more colored, then this dark one.....hmm we shall see

thank you thank you thank you for the ID

more pics to come soon ^_^

17. aquacutlure

aquacutlure THE FURRY BEAST

AWeSOME !

18. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

ok so got a good shot of her changing colors, first her hiding in a small hole..then she sees me and moves..then changes in to her light color ^_^ the last pic is the other 'unknown' baby

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. RiVerfishgirl

RiVerfishgirl AC Members

I think the other one is probably a mottled too from the characteristics, but if you get could an anal fin shot of that one too it would definitely help. :)

Sculpin are one of my favorite fish, but I have not had a tank for awhile where they would not get eaten (in fact that's what happened to my last one. Had him for a long time until my other native fish grew large enough to consume him :eek:. Either my bullhead or largemouth bass had a nice snack I guess.)

Now I have a 29g with natives (topminnows, mosquitofish, darters, baby green sunfish and chubs), but all of those fish would get eaten by a sculpin. So I guess I'll just have to set up another tank.

20. Kaosu

Kaosu AC Members

ok! so cold water tank takes some cooling....but no fancy chillers for me! oh no im much to poor for that...so here it is a pic of my top of the line cooling system!!!

[​IMG]

that is right..its a mesh reptile lid..perched on both of my filters...with two bar lights....and a window fan....:laugh: im so cheap^_^ but it works and my tank stays around 70o and is ....65 currently.
    Enjoy!