Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Product Review: AquaGenie 40 HOB

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by SubRosa, May 1, 2011.

1. SubRosa

SubRosa AC Members

MFG: AquaGenie Aust Pty Limited

Model: AquaGenie 40 HOB

Link: http://www.aquagenie-us.com/

Price Range: $89 (for 2)

Pros: No cartridges to replace. There is a small carbon cartridge that is a wear item, but
    I don't normally run carbon on my tanks anyway so I don't use them. The filter is
    cleaned by a simple backflushing procedure.

Cons: Limited availability is the most obvious, closely followed by having to buy 2 at
    once. They're only available on the internet and this will most likely not change.
    The lack of residual sales of cartridges will keep most brick & mortar sellers from
    carrying them.

Star Rating (out of 5): ****

Time in Use: approx 1 month

Quality and Value for the Money: It's built as well as any other hob style filter. Price is
    a bit high, but the savings in cartridges will offset
    the initial cost in a relatively short period of time.

Comments: I obtained mine as a freebie from the US distributor. It sat for a while
    until I put it on an established tank to seed the Bio Pearls with bacteria.
    I ran it for 3 weeks on that tank before putting it on a 20 gal containing
    a colony of Montezuma Swords. In the last week NH3 and NO2 levels have
    remained at "0". The only issue I had was when I first set it up on the
    established tank. It has an intake tube with a joint near the top, and the
    first two nights it ran it lost prime. The tank was running with a lowered
    water level and this joint was above water level. Air leaked in and stopped
    the filter. Raising the water level above the joint prevented a recurrence,
    and the tank it runs on now has a lowered water level. Filter has run with
    no issues, probably due to biofilm sealing the joint. All in all not a bad unit.