Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Product Review: Nutrafin "Cycle"

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Jannika, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Jannika

Jannika MTS Survivor

Name: Nutrafin Cycle

Category: Biological aquarium supplement
    Company: Hagan
    Manufactured in: Canada

Star rating: 2 stars
    Value: 2 stars

Model: 4 oz
    Price: $9.95
    Warranty: None

Several months ago a friend gave me some guppies and an old 10g tank she'd had in storage. Aware of the deadly nitrogen cycle, I ran out and bought a bottle of this pricey but reassuring elixir. After all, the label says "allows immediate introduction of fish" and "immediately establishes safe biological aquarium environment", and I'm a sucker for the word "immediate". Nevertheless, the guppies patiently lived in a bucket for 3 days while I dosed the tank.

Did it work? Well, I'm not a chemist, but if nitrites shooting up 2 weeks later like the space shuttle is considered a success, yeah. Large water exchanges several times a week helped to keep it within chartable toxic levels and slowed down the REAL cycle, but the guppies DID survive. My immediate reaction was "How?"

2. bradlgt21

bradlgt21 AC Members

So it didn't work but you still gave it a 2?

3. Slappy*McFish

Slappy*McFish Backhanded fish to the face!
    Staff Member

Cycle has a long standing reputation of not working.

4. Jannika

Jannika MTS Survivor

Yeah, I know, but the reason I gave it a two was mainly because my fish lived through it, and actually didn't appear stressed at all, even though the nitrites tested extremely high. I didn't want to put that in the review and appear to be advocating its use, but on the other hand, I didn't want to unfairly slam the product in case it works in ways that I'm not not aware of. Does that make sense? For instance, I thought maybe it tests high, but blocks the toxicity to the fish? Like I said, I'm not chemist :grinno: but I do think it's snake oil. I'm just not 100% positive.