Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Questions about a 5Gallon bucket of dead coral i just acquired.

Discussion in 'General Marine / Newbie' started by evident, Mar 6, 2012.

1. evident

evident AC Members

Feb 1, 2015
    I acquired a 5 gallon bucket full of dried up dead coral from my future father in law. Problem is, I have no interest starting up a saltwater tank and incurring all the costs. I have a FW tank right now and all i've heard is not to put dead coral in a FW tank, so that's not an option. from what i can tell, these things would look pretty nice in a saltwater tank.

I noticed that in the FS/T section that there is a "Coral Frag Exchange" subforum. are these things considered coral frags? or would i just put them up for sale in the regular classified section?

2. 03civicdx

03civicdx AC Members

Mar 18, 2012
    Sounds like what you have is rock not coral. Coral is the live organism living on the rock.

Sent from my MB870 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

3. XanAvaloni

XanAvaloni AC Members

Mar 4, 2015
    they would be coral skeletons....which I suppose would be considered "rock" in some sense since they are mineral, as opposed to animal or vegetable....but then again to be rock you have to be either igneous, sedimentary or metamorphic. Hmm. Interesting philosophical point. :)

however in answer to your question evident, yes they would be sold in the AC Marketplace rather than the frag exchange as they have no living corals on them. Then again if you have an out of the way corner to stash the bucket in you might just want to hold on to it. Because the day will come--maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life--when the Dark Side will begin to call to you. Then you will wish you had a nice bucket of just such objects readily to hand. :)

4. bradlgt21

bradlgt21 AC Members

Jul 26, 2014
    If you decide to do a African Cichlid tank you can use crushed coral to boost the PH and Hardness up. So it does have some use in freshwater, just niche though.

5. Khemul

Khemul Sea Bunny

Nov 23, 2014
    Nothing wrong with using coral skeletons in a FW tank as long as you understand how it'll effect the tank. Just don't expect to have a low-PH tank if you put it in.

But yeah, definitely can't list them as coral frags. Coral frags are, as the name implies, fragments of a living colony.
    Example: You have living coral colony on a rock with 20 polyps. You break that rock into 4 pieces each including 5 polyps, this is "fragging". Each of the 4 pieces is a "frag". The colony is still alive, it is just now fragmented into 4 smaller colonies.

What you have is a decoration. You could call it "base rock" and try to sell it to saltwater keepers. If you soak it in an established saltwater tank you could upgrade it to "live rock".

6. excuzzzeme

excuzzzeme Stroke Survivor '05

Recliner Olympics Master
    May 26, 2015
    I use dead coral in my invert tank. I use noting else to increase the hardness of my tank water. Through careful monitoring you can establish what is enough or too much.

7. evident

evident AC Members

Feb 1, 2015
    i don't think i really want this stuff in my tank, it seems like alot more trouble than it really is. sure it looks nice, but i'm not ready to introduce something to my tank that will mess with the parameters like that. maybe i'll see if i can get some driftwood for it or something