Rain water for aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishuponastar7

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2015
Hi all! I just purchased a 30 gallon aquarium and love it already and feel this is going to be a new life-long hobbie. I have 3 betas, 1 goldfish, and a crab (who I named Mr. Krabbs) I found in the ocean. I love my new water friends. They really add a lot of depth to my home. However, I happened to notice a wet spot on the carpet next to the tank, and thought it had sprung a leak, but then realized that it’s actually from a hole in the ceiling that leaks when it rains. I figure since waters water, I moved the tank under the leak so the tank catches it all (easier than fixing the leak LOL), but Mr. Krabbs seems some what disorientated, and was just wondering if crabs aren’t accustomed to rain water? Thanks!

Chaz88

AC Members
Mar 26, 2015
Sounds like you are keeping a crab you found in saltwater in a freshwater tank. Also the PH of rain water can be allover the place and it is hard telling what it might have picked up filtering through your roof and into the tank.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
if you got the crab out of the ocean it's saltwater and will die in the fresh water. The water that is leaking through the ceiling is collecting all kinds of things as it seeps through your ceiling which will result in death of everything.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Agree with Chaz and Larry. Also, as it soaks up water, the drywall ceiling will eventually come crashing down, causing further problems for a tank beneath it. You should get the leak fixed. If you want to collect rainwater, you can safely do so with a barrel or plastic trash can, outside. Depending on where the water runs off from, it can pick up contaminants. You should return the crab to the ocean before he dies.

Mark

fishuponastar7

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2015
Ok I took Mr. Krabbs back to the ocean and set him free, think he'll be alright. But back to the leak issue, I had no idea a leak could be that damaging!! (scary!!!) I took your advice and moved all the fish to a barrel with some fresh water in it and am contemplating what to do about the tank/leak situachin, figure I might throw a tarp over my roof or something? Honestly I don't think the leak is running through anything too serious

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Getting the inside of your house wet like that can set conditions up for mold, and some kinds can be bad enough for your health to make your house unlivable. Whether the leak causes physical damage or not it needs to be fixed promptly.

fishuponastar7

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2015
Lol oh my goodness, I was hoping the only ones being wet would be the fish! I dumped 'em into a bigger container for the time being, since i don't want them swimming around in moldy water. How could I saniterize their tank? I figure I'll just put a bucket on top of the tank to catch the water next time it rains, as I am unsure where the leaks coming from..I am a little concerned about my roof caving in and destroying the fish tank, but that seems pretty extreme and probably won't happen for awhile right?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
A saltwater crab in a freshwater tank and water running from the ceiling into your tank....oh, dear :silly:

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Is this thread for real or is it a joke? There is just so much wrong here. First of all, ocean crabs cannot live in fresh water. Bettas and goldfish can't live well under the same conditions; goldfish like cool water and bettas are tropical. A leak in your roof requires an immediate call to a roofer to get the leak repaired before there is major structural damage.

rcb031

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Real Name
Rob
A leaking roof is a major problem. Where the water is dripping from its probably not where the leak is. Chances are you're looking at a big time fix.

Could be anything from a pin hole near the flashing to rotten sheathing. Can be anywhere between a $10 - $5000 fix. Not to mention the insulation and drywall that will need to be replaced.

Then there's the fishy tank. Rain /attic water is never a good thing for living things except for mould. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store