rearing Betta fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Any good methods for this?? Paticularly after they start living up to their name . I used quart mason jars but wow you easily end up with 50 or so lol I read about an overflow system that useed "beanie Baby " boxes but can't locate either the boxes or the methods Any ideas??? gary

leeb62

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2012
They sell the boxes online. The method i have never heard of but u can chek betta forum. Good luck.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Have found the boxes on line but around 3 bucks each. Kind of steep when you need at least 30 lol.
Used mason jars rather tough to find . Guess nobody is canning anymore Would prefer containers of at least half gallon
Thanks anyway!! gary

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
I'd bet you find mason jars or a reasonable substitute at flea markets and the like.

But after reading this, an OLD OLD thread ran across my mind. It was a guy who built glass "raceways" to grow out coral frags on shelves. If I remember right they were 3 feet long and no more than 6 inches deep and high. Glass isn't as easy as acrylic to make repetitive identical cuts, so if you have a good table saw with a sharp blade and a can of Weldon all you need is access to some acrylic and make a series of "cubes". You could go to HD or Lowes, with the "cubes" being small, I would be you could go a long way with just one sheet of the thinnest material. I know, lots of thinking out loud here, lol!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Have found mason jars but quart size and of various heights, new ones are way too expensive lol
I did find a method that used the "beanie" boxes which are set on vinyl rain gutter this is angled by row so it ends up in a sump they used airline tubing to return the water to the various boxes This eliminates the need for the containers to be all the same height or material or need to be next to each other. Eliminates the visual problem as you can use caerdboard because it never gets wet. This is not going to look very pretty but seems I can make a 30 container setup for under 50 bucks not counting the sump and return pump.
Sure beats wash 30 bottles every day ??? gary Thanks gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store