Red Finned Shark or Red Tailed Black Shark????<span class="smallfont"> <b>(1 Viewing)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Napoli

AC Members
Jan 11, 2004
New Brunswick, NJ
Visit site
I have one red tailed black shark, along with two rainbow sharks, and a blue botia (which has a similar temperament). They're in with much smaller tiger barbs and get along fine. They are territorial and I have plenty of caves and nooks for them to stake out... The sharks only chase each other out of their defined territory and leave everyone else alone. In my opinion, get one shark or more than four or five. They're beautiful, active, and fun to watch

homerHart

AC Members
Apr 6, 2005
Thanks for all the advice - still can't decided what to do - no hurry though.

Oh and Chaibill - Pentazona Barbs are similar looking to Tiger Barbs, they have the similar orange coulouring and black stripes but are more streamline and aren't as aggressive as Tigers.

Type in Pentazona into Google and do an Image search - there are loads of pictures on the net.

Garbage

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
My RTBS is a killer, killed so many fish(Angel,Bala,Rainbow shark, 2 pangasis catfish,etc), mine seems to do alot of damage. I finally surrounded him with larger Cichlids(Red Devil,Dempsey,Severum,Jewel,Yellow lab,etc), he gets along great with em, cept for the dempsey, seems to like to terrorize him a bit. RTBS really make great tankmates for cichlids as its been my exerience that they have similar temperments. Not so great tankmates for less agressive or smaller fish though as they will eventually seek out and kill. I dont think rainbows are as agressive but I dont think they are as attractive a fish either as they have grey bodies while RTBS are jet black and I think RTBS get a little bigger too, or maybe just more filled out.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would skip the any RF/RT with any calm fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store