Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Red Tide or What

Discussion in 'Saltwater Illness and Disease' started by stokesrl, Aug 13, 2011.

1. stokesrl

stokesrl Registered Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I have had some stuff that keeps covering the walls of my tank on top of my coralline algae. It doesn'r really grow on anything else. It varies between brow/rust and a crimson color. It has a texture similar to velvet. It is very very difficult to scape off. Here is a photo:
    tank.jpg

I have 20k metal halides and 420 power compacts. Water PARMS are good.

Any Ideas would be appreciated

2. Arakkis

Arakkis AC Members

Apr 13, 2012
    it's a fuzzy algae, a good turbo snail will eat it

or it could be bryopsis.. in which increase your Mg to over normal params to kill it

3. stokesrl

stokesrl Registered Member

Aug 18, 2011
    bryopsis is green, right? I've got some turbos... Maybe I need need to fire.

4. Ace25

Ace25 www.centralcoastreefclub. com

Jan 14, 2015
    Not quite that simple. Simply dosing Mag to 1500-2000 levels does not seem to have any effect on hair algae. It is something within Kent Tech-M when used to raise mag to close to 2000 that seems to kill it. Simply dosing Mag supplement from Bulkreefsupply or B-Ionic doesn't seem to have any effect on hair algae but I don't think that is what the OP has anyway.

Turbo snails seem to get "lazy" after a few months and don't do nearly as much work as they do initially. I would toss in a couple new turbos and see how they act. It is a cheap way to try and solve it and if it doesn't you have a couple new cleaners anyway.

5. greech

greech AC Moderators

Environmental Assessments and Remediation
    Jan 29, 2015
    Sounds like turf algae if it is more encrusting but soft. My recommendation would be a tuxedo urchin and some new turbos like Ace mentioned. Of course scraping the glass and siphoning it out would work too :)