Responsibility as a Hobbyist

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
Ya see,... this is why I only sell unregistered Stinger missiles. 1st telemarketers and now this. I'll bet they only come knockin' right when you're sittin' down to dinner.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I'm embarrassed to say that I can't tell the differences between types of snails. I have hundred of little ones and don't know if they're the legal or illegal kinds. They always come in on plants and I can never get rid of them even though my loaches are determined to try to do just that.

When I clean my tanks, I've just always flushed the water or emptied it out the window (only tanks with large fish). How do you guys prevent any snails from going out with the water? No matter how much I try, there's always a few that go out with the water. And eggs and tiny snails can some times go through mesh.

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
I'm embarrassed to say that I can't tell the differences between types of snails. I have hundred of little ones and don't know if they're the legal or illegal kinds. They always come in on plants and I can never get rid of them even though my loaches are determined to try to do just that.

When I clean my tanks, I've just always flushed the water or emptied it out the window (only tanks with large fish). How do you guys prevent any snails from going out with the water? No matter how much I try, there's always a few that go out with the water. And eggs and tiny snails can some times go through mesh.
Your snails sound like the 3 most common pest snails that are frequent hitch hikers on plants. Pouch snails (shells shaped like a football), ramshorns (flat spiral shell), and Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS, cone shells) aren't regulated. Those are rather general descriptions but if you want to be absolutely sure, there are plenty of pics and info out there :)

Bettacreek

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
Looks like most of the people who were selling illegally on AB have stopped selling them (or they disappeared, whatever), but there's still an occasional spixi auction that says shipping to 48 lower states. :/ People should know that if you buy from these illegal sellers, you're at risk for loosing your pets that you purchased from them. It is buyer's responsibility to purchase legal pets, and the USDA will NOT refund your money. They kill these snails, so, it's a no win situation. Just take the time to find the species of snail that you want within your state.

belfastbabe

iheartfish
Feb 14, 2009
Belfast, N.ire
I'm so glad i read this...
i've been seriously considering a pet snail
BUT i always look into it a good amount before i purchase
i didnt know all these different types exsisted..

You really know your stuff!! Thanks xxx

ps.. before i registered for this forum i thought i knew everything!!
obviously not

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
wow, they are really relaxing their grip. I don't know if this new development makes sense to me though. Canas are the voracious plant-eaters and it's so hard to tell them apart when they're young, and darn near impossible as an egg clutch, so why allow them to be transported?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I have hundreds of baby canas and diffusas here. Some canas strayed before but I can recognized them from their shell color easily. Maybe it's because I'm already used to the shades of colors I see.:perv: Will study the babies and see further differences. The one way I know is canas have sunken spire so it's easily recognized from the diffusa to those who are already familiar with both. Another is color variations. Heck, canas come in only three color variations that I know compared to about 40 for diffusas.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Okay, since some people overlook links. I'm pasting the announcement in behalf of USDA here.

pbgroupie said:
I spoke with Dr. LC Soileau from USDA/aphis this morning and she confirmed that they will be making a formal announcement in the next few months that permits will no longer be required for the pomecea bridgesii/diffusa snails. Most permits that were issued during the first year they were required expire this year. You do not have to renew your permit when it expires. If you feel more comfortable getting a "Letter of No Jurisdiction" then you may submit an application for a permit and they will send you one.

You should now be able to ship baby pomecea bridgesii/diffusa snails and clutches once again. This is also good news for those people who wanted to ship permitted snails but didn't want to go through the lengthy permit application process. You will still need to contact USDA/aphis if you wish to import permitted snail into the country (and yes, this means any shipments from Canada). If they catch a shipment coming in without a permit they will toss the animals into an incinerator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store