Rhinogobius Duospilus! Finally! Breeding attempt log.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
He just needed some time to rest & recharge :naughty: Glad they didn't eat or knock off the first bunch. Let's hope he's not too tired to fan them & get ready for next week too, lol. Can you tell the females apart now they've lost their egg shape?

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Everything is still looking good today. Yeah, I can tell the females apart. The mother of #2 is darker. I have a total of 3m and 3f. After I take these eggs (I'm planning on day 9 or 10, so the 12th or 13th of March), I'll return the male to the main group so he has some time to eat! At that point, I'll probably pull the 1 female who didn't breed (she's looking gravid) and another male who has shown some cave digging recently, and put them together in the little love spa. I'm definitely not expecting these to be quite so quick to recharge as my desert gobies--they're not nearly so short-lived, but we'll see! Interestingly, since I upped the amount of live foods last month to bring them in condition, they now totally reject frozen bloodworms, which used to be their staple. I suspect if I started withholding the live, they'd go back to frozen when they got hungry enough, but they've turned into snobs for the moment!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Update time. He ended up eating or otherwise disposing of the majority of the second clutch, but the first clutch is still in good shape. I took them from him on Saturday evening, and today (Tuesday), the eggs are all doing well. They're in an unheated 2.5 with vigorous bubbles near, but not in the tube, which is suspended vertically with a suction cup. All of the eggs now have eyes (even the few remaining from clutch 2--so they were fertilized), and I'm hoping that they'll start hatching in 3-5 days. We'll see! I think there are 17-20 total.

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Hehe.
Here are where the eggs are now:

I struggled to get a good pic of the eggs, but you can sort of see them, and you can see they have eyes.

This thread will follow what happens to this and any future clutches.
If you'd like to continue the adventures of my adults, follow them to their new digs in this brand new thread!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store