Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Sadness

Discussion in 'General Cold & Temperate Water' started by spencerguy1, Sep 16, 2011.

1. spencerguy1

spencerguy1 I dont do Tuesdays.

Ok. I feel horrible. I was at a carnival at one of the schools iN our district, and they were giving goldfish as prizes. The game was so easy, basically iMpossible to lose. I knew I had to save a goldfish, so I won one. And a hermit crab. My bro and sis also one themselves each a fish. So I brought everything home, and my bro and sis decided to put theirs in goldfish bowls, even after I took 15 minutes telling them they will die. I'm gonna put mine in the 5 gal in my room. I know this is not enough, it's just for now. Then, they say they want theirs in the tank too. I feel so bad I got one now. So I drained the 5 gal, took all the yucky gravel out, and i am filling it up as we speak. This will bevtemporary. Then they will go into the 10 gallon, and then be put in a 40 breeder. Please help me figure this out. Also, do the hermit crabs need pools of FW or SW?

Thx,

Spencer

NOTE: please do not turn this thread into a thread about fish at carnival games or start attacking me. If you want to insult me, feel free to pm me.

2. spencerguy1

Ok, I've got the top fin 40 running on the 5 gal. So basically, Ive got 8x filtration for the tank. :)

3. Ratlova30

Ratlova30 AC Members

Receptionist
    Honestly i would try and find them a pond home if possible, goldies that they give away at carnivals are feeder goldies which are commons. Common goldfish will grow too large for a 40 breeder. In the meantime set up the largest tank you have, hook up as many filters as you can and do daily water changes. Not sure what advice I can give you if you decide to keep them but can't commit to a tank closer to 75gals but best of luck with your goldies.

4. spencerguy1

Thx, I think your right, but would a 55 gal work? And for the bathing pools for the hermit crab, do I use freshwater?

5. spencerguy1

Ok, the fish are going in, wish me luck.

6. homedog98

homedog98 AC Members

Better to rescue them then to let them die. :) you do have a pond plan for the goldies when they get big right?

7. spencerguy1

... No...

I'll probably do a 55 gallon for as long as I can, because they are really small right now. I thin they are comet goldfish, but I'll have a picture of them up in a bit. Right now my brothers fish is in. I'm going to put the other 2 in right now. The filters rated for 40 gallon tanks, so the water movement is crazy. The Goldie cant go in the front of the tank. I'm gonna do something with a water bottle to make the current less, but how would I get the bottle on? Tape?

8. spencerguy1

All the goldies are in, doing good. I fed them, and my sisters fish was taking gulps of food and sand and spitting it out, like a cichlid. It was cool. How would I do the water bottle thing? Tape?

9. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

high school/ going to be a vet or zoologist
    tape is what i used.

10. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

high school/ going to be a vet or zoologist
    also fiddler crabs need brackish water