shrimp and snail question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Hi all-

I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 mollies, 3 neon tetra, and 6-8 guppies. I am thinking of adding shrimp and/or snails. My question is would they be compatible with the fish I have? I think the guppies/tetras are fine, but not sure about the mollies. I see them nipping every nook and cranny, even after fed.

If it is ok, the second question is what type to get. My LFS which had amano shrimp went out of business, and the only things I see at pet stores are ghost shrimp. I'd like amano, or maybe cherry shrimp that can breed in a freshwater tank if possible, but not sure if online orders are ok? Also, what type of snails would be good, that wouldn't breed like crazy and overrun the tank? I don't have real plants, just fake types.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Amando shrimp wont breed in freshwater neither will ghost shrimp.they will but the babies wont live.
If you want a snail that wont over breed then look into neirite snails,they also wont breed in freshwater.

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
My brother-in-law had ghost shrimp and they did breed. My understanding is they can in freshwater. I know amano won't, they need brackish water for the process. I read online that neirite snails will still lay eggs, but won't hatch, since they also need brackish water. Is it an issue to clean those eggs? I know it can be a pain.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
They can in freshwater, but the mortality rate is high. Neon tetras should be in groups of 6+, btw. I'd get cherry shrimp.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
re: buying online

there are several vendors down in the "AC Vendors' Forum" section at the bottom of the Forums page who sell various inverts. i have always had excellent service from Bobs Tropical Plants (click the link in the vendor list ) and MsJinkzd ( http://msjinkzd(dot)com/)

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Wait a minute, the ghost shrimp not breeding in FW is a myth. They can, and the babies will survive with proper care.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Malawa shrimp are also a great addition. They're tough, adapt to a wide range of hardness and temperature. I have them in my goby/hillstream tank. MsJinkzd or Bob's Tropicals may have some.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store