Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
i have a unrelated question, when i started reading this thread it was menctioned making this a sticky thread....heres the stupid question...whats that mean...:(

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Last edited:

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
ooh ,i get it....

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
So how exactly do you tell the false from the true?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
dundadundun - I found this after I read your post about your redtail shark episode.

"As they are not aggressive, they can be kept in any community tank big enough. Their active behavior might stress some sensitive species like dwarf cichlids and prevent them from spawning. They should not be kept with Red-tailed Sharks (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor) unless the aquarium is large and well planted, because that species is very aggressive towards all its relatives."

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Just to throw my 2 cents in...I have 3 SAEs in my 45 gallon tank and they are wonderful fish. they are about 3 inches long now and have took care of all the BBA within a few days of entering the tank. I have never seen any kind of aggression between themselves or otherwise. They are always together and are really cool fish.....

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
pinkertd: i definitely agree... and i was aware of the possible issues, and my tank was planted. the issue was what is a large tank. i found out the hard way. these guys were in a 50 gallon planted tank, and i can say although some consider that to be a large tank it is not nearly large enough to keep a redtail and an sae. i would not try with a rainbow shark either with that size tank, but i have not yet proven that to be an issue :).

Islandlady1540

AC Members
Mar 11, 2007
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
I had a Siamensis (Crossocheilus) in with my Beta and Harlequin Rasboras, but after a few months it began nipping the fins on my Harlequin Rasboras and once in awhile, my Beta too. It seemed to be doing so during the dark night time hours. I finally gave it to my daughter who also has one that has never nipped at her fish. He/she doesn't seem quite as aggressive in her tank, but lately it has nipped the fins on one of them. I originally purchased this fish, because it is supposed to be active, but non aggressive. As well, a great algae consumer, which he/she certainly is! I now have three Oto's and they are wonderful and fun little fish! : )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store