Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JPKeenan

AC Members
Jul 20, 2009
Ohio
a sticky means it's important and will be easily accessible in a special area atop of that certain section of the forum...

this fish

is starving... they are fighting for food imo... look at it, it is not healthy looking at all

bring some frozen spinach from the market with you and throw it in the tanks... i guarantee they go nuts... they're probably only being fed cucumbers and they will starve to death just about that way
Except for the tail marking this looks to be a match for a fish I am trying to identify!

chunkswrestles

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland
i heard that true SAE has a black mark on their stomach and since i havent read anything about that on this thread i think it might be false info. so what do you guys thinks of this

firetyger

Registered Member
Oct 9, 2009
I've read through all thirteen pages of this thread... Had one question still regarding Red Tail Sharks and the SAE though. I know some people have said that so long as you have a large enough tank and it's well-planted, they'll get along though they normally fight. Would a well planted tank anywhere from 120-180 gallons be large enough for them to not pester each other? Does the length of the tank matter more than the width in this case?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Overall foot print (LxW) is the biggest factor. It really depends on how planted it is as RTS tend to establish a territory and will chase any fish away from what is "theirs". If you allow for lots of hiding places, etc. it might be doable. That being said, if you somehow end up with an overly aggressive shark, I would expect the SAEs to be one of the first targets as they inhabit the bottom portions more often and they have a similar body shape. Just keep an eye out if you end up doing the combo and make sure you have arrangements if things do not work out.

firetyger

Registered Member
Oct 9, 2009
Overall foot print (LxW) is the biggest factor. It really depends on how planted it is as RTS tend to establish a territory and will chase any fish away from what is "theirs". If you allow for lots of hiding places, etc. it might be doable. That being said, if you somehow end up with an overly aggressive shark, I would expect the SAEs to be one of the first targets as they inhabit the bottom portions more often and they have a similar body shape. Just keep an eye out if you end up doing the combo and make sure you have arrangements if things do not work out.
Thank you :) Lots to think about...

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
i have true sae (bought here on the forum) in my tanks. they have never messed with the moss. and yes they have a black mark on they belly

Aquaman9001

AC Members
Aug 18, 2016
Oregon
Real Name
Nick
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy SIII, Canon Rebel XTI
Sorry if this has been covered already, but I was curious if they (SAE) eat brown algae as well as red? I have brown algae growing on my gravel and backside of tank appropriately.

Q. - Do Siamese Algae Eaters eat all types of algae or just red?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
SAE can eat about anything but they shine most for red and black beard alage. For brown algae I would go with BN plecos or if the tank is mature oto cats.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store