Sick betta, better now, just a heads-up in case someone else gets one too!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nurseshelly

AC Members
Aug 16, 2014
Arizona
Real Name
Michele
Hi,

We got a betta last week from Petsmart that seemed okay as long as he was in his cup, but once we put him in the 10 gallon it was obvious something was wrong with him. He was depressed, just staying in one corner of the tank ... not the usual "so happy to be in a tank and swimming everywhere" you usually get when you let a betta free for the first time. He did eat, but was just listless and acting weird, no visible signs of illness other than behavior, so into a quarantine tank he went. I added Melafix and Pimafix and the next day he started perking up and by day two he was acting 100% normal. We decided to keep him in a different tank without other fish, just in case he's contagious, but so far he is looking healthy, happy, and eating well in his own 3 gallon tank. We decided to leave the 10 gallon without a betta since we have one in a 5 gallon and now one in a 3 gallon.

Michele

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I've had male bettas react badly when put into a well filtered community tank. I thought it was mostly difficulty swimming because the current from the filter and them being not being used to it. It usually takes them a while to adapt, and until they do, they will hang out wherever the water is the calmest.

If you have fin nippers, the betta will be a target, which in turn stresses him out and makes him act weird.

nurseshelly

AC Members
Aug 16, 2014
Arizona
Real Name
Michele
This one was definitely sick, even in the 3 gallon, all he did was sit in one place and act depressed (it was just still water) until the medicine kicked in and he started moving around later the next day.
I've always had them really like getting moved into the big tank, but I usually adjust the current down on my filter and gradually increase it until they get used to it. I don't put them in with anyone who is aggressive, so no issues there either - normally the betta is the only fish with attitude in the tank.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Yeah, bettas certainly do have plenty of personality. I've had some really mellow ones, but there have been a few with an excess of attitude. I usually keep mine in their own tanks, especially the ones with fancy fins. Mine rarely get sick, and the only problem I have is the occasional torn fin.

Melafix is something I found years ago, and has been my aquatic cure-all. Works wonders on damaged fins. There used to be a similar product called Betta-fix (or something similar) that was sold in small dropper bottles, but I haven't seen it for a few years. It was pretty much the same as Melafix, with the dosing worked out for those dinky betta bowls.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
This is exactly why I give the bettas I breed away for free, just pay shipping. Cheap, sick, asian imports are what you get at the "Pet Whatever Store." It is crual and more breeders should just breed them and give them away. If you're near St. Louis I'll give a male or female betta to you, of course no shipping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store