Simple DIY rock wall and cave for 5 gallon hex

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Thats a really cool tank! I like the rock layers with the sand on it...have you decided what kind of livestock to have?

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
omg that thing is freakin shweet! hurry and fill it wit water and get that stone pumpin out air cuz u cant wait to see it!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I have ideas on stock, but no solid plan yet. I've always wanted cherry shrimp, there just aren't any for sale around here. If I decide to go that route, I think they'll like having the slope to climb on. I'm also interested in african dwarf frogs. I've already checked around with an old thread in the forum and it seems the two can live together peacefully, and I think the frogs would love the cave. Either way, I'll have MTS to keep the sand stirred up.

I'd love to have a combo of the shrimp and probably two frogs, but not having any actual swimming fish bugs me. The size of the thank though makes fixing that issue a problem. Any fish small enough to be added is probably a schooler, like neons. Any solitary fish that's small enough could be too aggressive, such as a betta or dwarf puffer. I may end up going with a different plan then once I determine a good mix.

Here's a picture of the back of the wall when I was putting the backing on the tank. The tape you see is double sided to keep the backing in place. The rings are leftovers from a power head that was in the tank previously. I didn't bother to scrub it off since it would be hidden.

back view.JPG

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
That's gorgeous... I love such a novel approach with the small hex tank.

I guess when the air stone gets clogged eventually, you'll pull the line through the front of the cave to replace it? Doesn't look like it'll fit coming out from behind.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I'm hoping it will. I tried to keep the silicone from gluing the line in place. If it doesn't move, well, I suppose it will become a permanent hidden rock :)

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
I think you could do a pair of Peacock Gudgeons in there, by themselves. They would LOVE the cave, I think. Plus, they're a freaking cool feesh! :D

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
That does look like a really cool fish, but they recommend a much larger tank as a minimum size. Five gallons is somewhat limiting.

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
There are alot of micro fish taht would be good. Something like danionella translucida (spelling)

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
where are you that you cant find cherry shrimp? also, have you checked the classifieds here? lotsa people who have cherries that know how to ship them properly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store