Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Smooth White Bump on Wen

Discussion in 'Coldwater Illness and Disease' started by StarieNite, Oct 1, 2010.

1. StarieNite

StarieNite AC Members

First off I can' answer questions on water quality yet. I ran out of testing solutions and then ran out of money.

I have two orandas in a twenty gallon tank. I have a HOB filter and a RFUGF both in place over a year now. A red oranda and a red cap. The Red cap is the older of the two and a little bit bigger. Today my daughter noticed a smooth white bump on the wen of the red one. He is still active and swims normally. The red cap doesn't have anything on him and is also behaving normally.

Nibble has had wen growths before but they have always been much smaller. Just want to make sure that nothing is wrong with my little guy.

Attached Files:

2. kelly82

kelly82 AC Members

Stay at home mum until the next job comes along
    aww poor little guy. 20g is very much on the small side for orandas IMO. mine werent happy in a 100g i had to move them back into a 180g. how long have you had them? how big are they? how often do you do partial water changes and how much?

no idea what the white lump could be, we had one a while back who came to us with a white lump like this, one day she swam under a piece of driftwood we had and half pulled it off :eek3: i knocked her out with clove oil and had to snip it off as it was hanging there wiggling in the water flow :barf:, it healed beautifully and never reappeared but i wouldnt say its a good idea to do this if there wasnt a need to. wait until someone with a little more knowledge comes here and see what they say.

maybe time for an upgrade, 30g or even 40g would be good for these 2. they can grow huge, my biggest oranda is nearly 9" long. the biggest one ive grown on myself i got at just under 1" last year, and she is now just over 4". the bigger the tank the better the water quality between water changes. its a plus plus for the fish, and it will make your life easier in the long run as in a 20g it will be harder to keep the water quality stable.

3. StarieNite

StarieNite AC Members

I know they can grow big and at this time the are still smallish and we do plan to upgrade when we can afford a bigger tank. I do weekly water changes (15%-20%) with deep gravel vacuuming. I don't over feed

4. Lupin

Lupin Registered Member

Office employee.
    Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
    Any more pics of that bump? It's hard to say what it is.

Does it feel hard or soft?

5. StarieNite

StarieNite AC Members

Well happily the lump is gone. So it may have been a larger wen growth then I am used to. I never was able to touch it. He was far to fast to try that and I didn't want to stress him out.

6. Lupin

Lupin Registered Member

Office employee.
    Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
    That's good to hear.:)

7. Piranha86

Piranha86 AC Members

I would ask a more experienced member, but I would suggest amping your weekly water changes to 30%-35% IMO. Goldfish are pretty waste-y.