Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

snail shell erosion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Kuhlifan, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Kuhlifan

Kuhlifan AC Members

Journalism, writer, public relations
    Ok, I have a tank with a large piece of driftwood in it. My snail population seems to be struggling. For snails like my ramshorns that are always visible, I don't think I have a single adult ramshorn whose shell isn't entirely white and pitted. I've tried putting coral into my filter and tank but that doesn't seem to help much. Is there any additive I can use or special food I can put in that will give them a calcium boost? Can I simply buy calcium tablets at the drug store and plop one in?

2. fishycat

fishycat needs more wiggle.

I have driftwood in my tanks with healthy baby briggs... I feed veggies (canned green beans, frozen/thawed fresh zucchini, deshelled peas) twice a week. My old ramshorn & mts have shown huge improvement in shell growth! The snello recipe in the invert sticky has added calcium powder & is popular in my tanks (fish & snails alike).

Water hardness I think doesn't build shell, ingested calcium does. Tho it is true that if water is too soft/acidic there will be shell erosion... What is your ph/gh?

Not sure what mine is, but I had pretty poor ramshorn shell growth until I started adding veggies for the briggs!

Edit: yes you can add calcium pills from the drugstore, but the dissolving pill throws up some debris/can be messy and people have said it also clouded their water. I use pills in my snello & didn't have a clouding issue, but pills straight into the tank was messier.

3. soobie

soobie AC Members

My water is extremely soft and on the acid side, and all my snails show erosion, too. Feeding calcium-rich snello helps a lot. I can actually see a demarcation of improved shell quality on my apple snail's shell, that started when I began feeding the snello.

4. Kuhlifan

Kuhlifan AC Members

Journalism, writer, public relations
    I got some cuttlebone for them and I'll try some veggies as well.