Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Source for Nice Fancy Goldfish

Discussion in 'General Cold & Temperate Water' started by Chondropython, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Chondropython

Chondropython AC Members

Can anyone direct me to a good source for really nice / "high-end" fancy goldfish? The ones that I can get locally at the big pet stores just don't look near as nice as the ones I've seen in the books.

Thanks in advance.

2. Flaringshutter

Flaringshutter Befriend a feeder!

photojournalist
    Hey there, welcome to AC!

I've bought fish from raingarden.us, the owner Steve is absolutely wonderful. Fish are gorgeous and he's always honest and helpful about their quality.

Goldfishconnection.com hosts an auction of very high quality fancies. Pricey but beautiful.

3. Riiz

Riiz Apocalypse Pony

aquabid.com gets some amazing ones occasionally.

4. Inka4040

Inka4040 O_o

gainfully employed student
    Steve is a great guy, very knowledgeable, and the only person in the US right now who's bringing in and breeding tosakin for re-sale. Ken, of Dandy Orandas, through Goldfishconnection, has over the years, become my only source for goldfish (IMO it's best to pick a source and stick with it to avoid different bugs from different pools etc.) Paul, of ranchumaniax is the best source for Thai ranchu, but can be pricier than Ken even, and is relatively sporadic in bringing fish in. Andrew, of fish sempai recently stopped shipping to the US, but is still good for Canadian customers. Tommy, of goldfishnet.com is good for more moderately priced fish, and the guys from goldfishutopia, you can pm me to find out how I feel about them. If you're on the east coast, the MAKC Koi show will be going on in MD this September, and is a great place to go and scope out your own purchases.

Ken, sends out a dvd catalog which incidentally just shipped yesterday. I'd suggest contacting him and getting a copy if you are serious about seeing the best goldies that are reaching US shores (again, imo). You can get in touch with him directly, or wait till goldfishconnection puts up auctions for some of the cherries.

Here's the website with his contact info:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/dandyorandas/

5. Chondropython

Chondropython AC Members

Thanks for the quick responses and the welcome.

I've had saltwater & tropical fish my whole life, but these will be my first goldfish. I bought a house with a 350 gallon outdoor concrete pond... I really wanted koi, but decided it was too small to do them justice (for any decent amount of time, at least). I'm getting eveything up & running this weekend and will post pics once I get it planted.

6. Inka4040

Inka4040 O_o

For a pond, your best bet is probably Steve with his watonai, comets, and shubbies. Top view ranchu are among the most expensive goldfish anywhere, but in the States, you'll be paying premium prices for Thai and Japanese throwaways, and the type of ponds they require are quite specific in nature. In reality, for commons and comets, even the pet store stock can grow into very magnificent specimens, as any of Flaringshutter's photos can attest.

7. Chondropython

Chondropython AC Members

I really like the watonai... I've never seen them before.

8. Flaringshutter

photojournalist
    I just bought a watonai and he's absolutely gorgeous. Brightest, richest red color I've ever seen and so healthy. Steve was great about helping me pick out the watonai that will hold their tail the best as adults, which fish would be good breeders and why.
    Watonai are wonderful. They have a slightly thicker body than commons, but a lovely tail that opens up like a flower when they pause in the water. Gorgeous for top-view too.

9. Chondropython

Chondropython AC Members

Are watonai safe to mix with the other fancy varieties?

10. Inka4040

Inka4040 O_o

They would probably be best suited kept with the hardier varieties like comets, wakins, shubbies, and such. I have to ask where you are located, as most fancies will not be able to winter outdoors in colder climates, and their tolerance to extremes of temperature only lessen as they get fancier. In all honesty, keeping fancy goldfish can be alot harder than many think, and it is best to arm yourself with plenty of research and experience before plopping down the money for the really high end stuff. Additionally, it's not safe to assume that all fancy goldfish can be kept together. Even there, they are best broken down into groups based on their mobility and overall hardiness.

11. Chondropython

Chondropython AC Members

I am located in AL... USDA zone 7b. I am just getting the pond up & running. I actually just finished filling it up and plugging in the filter about an hour ago. I plan to get some lillys established and cycle with some feeder comets before buying anything too crazy. I am still in the research phase...

I really liked the watonai because they seem hardier, but with a little more flare than the others you mention. Are they not able to winter outdoors? The average temp here in the coldest part of the year is 43F.

12. Flaringshutter

photojournalist
    Watonai are perfect for ponds as they are able to weather winters as well as comets and commons. You might also look at wakin - they are also nice top-view fish, hardy, and Steve has some really nice ones right now. You might also look at his hibuna - commons - as his are nicer than any you will find in a LFS and are quite healthy to boot. :)