Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

starting a brackish....

Discussion in 'Brackish' started by Dangerdoll, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Dangerdoll

Dangerdoll Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Web/Graphic Design/Database Development
    May 21, 2015
    so tell me, how exactly does one start one? Is there the same issues as with Salt water tanks? Meaning salt creep, mixing the water/salt before hand, skimmer, etc...

2. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

high school/ going to be a vet or zoologist
    Jun 30, 2014
    what are you starting a brackish tank for? like for crabs or fish? when i had my fiddler and red claw crabs id mix it before hand in a bucket, id use a hydrometer to get the salinity i wanted and poor it in. i didnt use a skimmer or anything but make sure there arent any dead spots, you might need power heads.

3. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Graduate student
    Apr 26, 2015
    The specific gravity might be high enough for a skimmer to be effective but I don't think you would need one for the reasons they are used in marine tanks.

You will want to be mixing water beforehand. Most brackish fish are pretty tolerable of swings in SG (within reason) so it's not as picky as say a reef tank in that regard. But some will be better suited to low-end or high-end brackish conditions so keep that in mind.

More of the details would depend on which fish or what type of setup you are looking for...

4. Dangerdoll

Staff Member

May 21, 2015
    I was thinking cichlids but I am just weighing the idea.... no decisions yet.... not sure I want to yet...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

5. jpappy789

Graduate student
    Apr 26, 2015
    There aren't really any cichlids that will appreciate a brackish environment except the chromides and a select few CA/SA that may tolerate it...if you are going for Rift Lake species then you might as well focus on raising TDS with something like crushed coral, rather than marine salt. The chemistry is different.

6. Dangerdoll

Staff Member

May 21, 2015
    how about Brichardis?

7. jpappy789

Graduate student
    Apr 26, 2015
    Brichardis wont want a brackish tank, if that is what you are asking...as I said the composition of the rift lakes is different than a brackish/marine environment.