Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Striped Raphael Catfish questions?

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by armada, Feb 10, 2012.

1. armada

armada AC Members

Jul 15, 2013
    Around March 2010, a friend of a friend gave me their tank and all inhabitants in it, since she was moving halfway across the country. The fish included were 2 neons, 2 platies, 2 guppies, 2 goldies, a betta, and an unknown catfish. (I didn't keep them all in the same tank of course, but she kept them in a mere 10 gallon.) Over time, the goldies and betta fell to an unfortunate death. Things have stabled since then, and I've now got the platies, guppies, neons, and cat together in one tank. For the longest time the cat was unidentified, and for some reason I was okay with that. The other day, I decided to do some research and found that the fish is actually a striped raphael catfish. The previous owner had possession of him/her for a couple months, and I've had him/her for almost... two years! My question is... I haven't seen it gain even a centimeter since the day I've had it - it's still under (or perhaps right at) an inch long. Is the fish stunted for being in an overstocked, overly small tank for so long? These cats are supposed to get rather large to my knowledge. Could it be his diet? I haven't been feeding him anything in particular since I had no idea what he was (not very smart, I know).*
    Could anyone give me any information? It'd all be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. DaisyTattoo

DaisyTattoo AC Members

Veterinary Technician
    Apr 23, 2015
    They are very slow growers. It is possible it is stunted, but also possible it will still grow. They have a tendency to get fat rather than long. I had one for several years in a 125G and it still didn't get very big.

3. dbosman

dbosman AC Members

Jan 27, 2013
    That's awfully small for a Striped Raphael. Even in a 10g it should have gotten to at least three inches.
    Could you post a picture?