Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Sturgeon diseases.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Illness and Disease' started by matongflush, Jan 20, 2005.

1. matongflush

matongflush AC Members

Student
    Nov 1, 2005
    I have found out on fishbase that siberian sturgeons (naturally???) have Enteric Redmouth Disease Bacterial diseases. These diseases can potentially spread to humans. Therefore, is it safe for one to raise siberian sturgeon, let alone handle one?

2. Aderynglas

Aderynglas AC Members

Jul 18, 2011
    As they grow to over 2 metres, who has a tank big enough to house one safely and comfortably? Don't forget they are from a cold area and wouldn't really tolerate heat. I suspect this is a problem only commercial farmers would have to worry about ;)

3. matongflush

matongflush AC Members

Student
    Nov 1, 2005
    I know that fact, and am obviously not going to keep one!!!

4. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Information Tech
    Feb 22, 2015
    There's a wide variety of diseases which can cross species. There are methods of handling the animals which protects humans. Saltwater tanks are endemic with the bacteria that cause human marine tuberculosis (not the same as regular TB), but using gloves, taking care with open wounds, etc, makes it unlikely that someone's going to pick it up. Most serious diseases in humans crossed over from domestic mammals many years ago--and this still happens under certain conditions. So, technically, interacting with any sort of wild stock is not 100% safe. But, with care and knowledge, yes, it can be done safely. Protocols for handling animals, specifically sturgeon, are very specific in preventing the spread of disease not just animal to animal, but also to humans.

5. Aderynglas

Aderynglas AC Members

Jul 18, 2011
    matongflush, it wasn't obvious at all ;) I've seen adverts for them as pets:eek: you might be surprised at what some people would try to keep (alligators, crocodiles sturgeon etc) :eek:

6. matongflush

matongflush AC Members

Student
    Nov 1, 2005
    Oops! Should have clarified earlier! :eek:

7. N8DOGG

N8DOGG Peaches !!

What Job?
    Sep 7, 2008
    My old roommate and I had a alligator for a while and when my he lived in FL he had a gator tll it got 4feet and then he donated it to a gator farm. :D

8. Aderynglas

Aderynglas AC Members

Jul 18, 2011