Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

tank controllers - Who uses them.

Discussion in 'Marine Reef Keeping' started by Benson, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Benson

Benson Roll Tide!

Human Resources Manager
    Thursday at 7:28 PM
    What kind of tank controller do you use and why?

2. Ace25

Ace25 www.centralcoastreefclub. com

Jan 14, 2015
    Reefkeeper 2 because it was given to me.. and a Reef Angel because I like to have full control over my controller and not rely on the Mfg to fix bugs/add things in a timely manner, but the Reef Angel is not for the novice, it takes a computer programmer to configure it. I would recommend the Apex Jr. for the majority of people today that want to get their first controller, although you would already need an expansion module because just your lights take up 4 plugs potentially.

3. Conski

Conski AC Members

Jan 11, 2013
    I have the reefkeeper lite from digital aquatics. Thing works like a gem, and they have real good customer service. 4 plugs for 100 dollars to do just about anything you need them to is completely worth it.

4. Ace25

Jan 14, 2015
    Except hook up to the internet, view parameters on a smart phone, control things like lights, etc.. The RKL does come with a pH probe though, something you need to add on to the Apex Jr, but the Apex has ethernet built in, which is quickly becoming the "must have" feature for anyone buying a controller today. Reefkeeper Lite was the best for a budget controller last year, I can't say it still holds the title this year though.

Conski, wanted to mention something off topic, on that last video in Guillo's tank thread, in the middle of the tank, you can see 2 giant Spongodes colonies, that is where the one I gave you came from. ;)

5. Arakkis

Arakkis AC Members

Apr 13, 2012
    Reefkeeper is nice to have but the two items i can't live without is an tunze ATO and an Auto doser

6. Conski

Conski AC Members

Jan 11, 2013
    You should see the 5 huge colonies of the spongodes you gave me. Im redoing my tank.. :) Thread Build will be up in the next weeks!. Hope to see everyone in there bashing me

7. Ace25

Jan 14, 2015
    The only bashing will be because you have NOT been updating us on your progress. ;) LOL.

8. zambono

zambono AC Members

aquaPlanner
    Dec 18, 2013
    so the consensus is that the Jr. is the way to go for the first?

9. Benson

Benson Roll Tide!

Human Resources Manager
    Thursday at 7:28 PM
    The Apex Jr is a good one to start with. I have the Reefkeeper Lite. It works great but the Apex Jr. has the internet features built in. I love having a controller...

10. rogersb

rogersb AC Members

Sep 9, 2014
    Can someone tell me what these things actually do? My lights are on a $5 timer, my ato has its own on/off floats, and my heater is underpowered so it cannot fry my tank. What are the benefits?