Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Tank stocking suggestions

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by schapman1886, Feb 27, 2012.

1. schapman1886

schapman1886 AC Members

Mar 5, 2013
    Hey guys,

I have a 36 gallon bow front that is in the process of cycling. It has no top (due to the lighting fixture I bought) and will eventually be moderately - heavily planted.

What would you guys suggest for this tank. I probably won't be doing any special orders, but well see.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Attached Files:

2. loves Angelfish

loves Angelfish AC Members

Fish store
    Aug 8, 2014
    What kinds of fish do u like? U can do platys,guppies,Corydoras catfish,Rainbowfish,tetras,german blue ram...

3. AfishIonado

AfishIonado AC Members

Cake Decorator
    May 6, 2012
    I like the freshwater puffers like the south American puffer but they have to be ordered most of the time. Discus are cool, gobys are popular and I personally like angel fish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4. schapman1886

schapman1886 AC Members

Mar 5, 2013
    I'm not against any fish, though I'm no expert, so I would like to stay away from the more difficult species. I was considering a cichlid tank, but I have no experience with them and I'm worried about them breeding in the tank.

Also the ph of my water is around 7.4, which I think is not very compatible with german blues.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

5. schapman1886

schapman1886 AC Members

Mar 5, 2013
    I currently have neon tetras and Harlequin Rasboras and a Betta in a 20gal long, so probably something different. I have tried to keep corys (though in a different location with different water qualities) and I have not had good luck with them.

The substrate in the tank is Flourite mixed with play sand, and some of the pieces in the Flourite look a bit rough, could that do damage to the cory's?

6. AfishIonado

AfishIonado AC Members

Cake Decorator
    May 6, 2012
    I had a tank with cichlids when I lived with my parents and yea they bred like crazy but only 1 or 2 survived if any because they ate them I had to eventually separate them if I wanted any to survive, now my parents use that tank for sharks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

7. cicrush13

cicrush13 AC Members

Sales
    May 5, 2015
    Yes some of the pieces of flourite can damage a cory's barbels and pectoral fins.
    With your mix, I think they should be fine.

I would suggest for a planted tank, rams (gold, blue or bolivian) a school of cherry barbs or glo-lite tetras and peppered cories.

8. bettalover77

bettalover77 AC Members

Jan 27, 2014
    you could try glo-lite danios (danio choprae, not the modified zebra danios), gouramis, featherfin rainbows (irathernia werneri), congo tetras

(not together, just suggesting species)

9. loves Angelfish

loves Angelfish AC Members

Fish store
    Aug 8, 2014
    Those u can't do.. They get too big for a 36 gallon...

10. BanalityBob

BanalityBob AC Members

Mar 26, 2014
    A single Angelfish, and some of the smaller puffers (like pea puffers) would work, loves Angelfish.

If you're into cichlids with your harder water, Kribensis are hardy and adapt pretty well to a lot of water conditions, if you wanna get a pair for the bottom. If you're looking for schoolers, don't forget Harlequin Rasboras and Cherry Barbs as pretty, hardy schoolers.