Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Teenagers are more entertaining....

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by S.A., Dec 5, 2006.

1. S.A.

S.A. WHY? Cuz I can...

teacher
    Ok... So I have had a HUGE problem with snails. They snuck in on a plant and had taken over one my aquariums. I had neons in it and well they just like to push the little guys around. So long story longer... I had tried a few ways (including chemicals) to get rid of them and the only thing that happened was that I lost 3 of my ottos. :sad:

Noticing that my dempsey tank (which prior to putting her in the tank had the same "problem") was snail free, I decided to transfer her to the larger tank. Now I warned my students that she is a "bit" aggresive and that the small school of neons may experience a small loss but that the trade-off was that ottos would not die due to the nasty chemicals and the snails would eventually be gone. After a bit of concerned looks, I did explain that dempseys are omniverous and that small feeders are occasionally fed to them to round out their diet. A neon is just a prettier version of this. Still some sad looks....

Until this morning... same sad looks staring into the tank counting neons.... A CHEER GOES UP! I thought, "Great the neons made it through the night!". Nope. The cheer was for the dempsey. So much for those little forelorn looks. Now I have kids checking online for other "natural" preys the dempseys feed on.

One good note out of all of this. 4 classes of students have been recieving a much better idea of what is truly required to care for a tank, cycling, and fish:tank ratio. I have even had a few "tattle" on other teachers and they have tried to explain why you cannot have X amount of large fish in X size tank. Go Kids! Also they are planning on moving my neons into a safer tank and then setting up a breeding tank for feeder guppies.

What have I started?! :rolleyes:

2. rosita

rosita Here

find a job J-O-B job
    It's very encouraging to hear of your success!!! I put a 29g with Malawi Peacocks in my Art classroom. The students appeared to enjoy learning about cycling, types of fish, etc. Then the dreaded day came--someone dropped a bunch of pennies in the hood slot I forgot to tape up!!! They purposely tried to murder the fish, so I had to break it all down and take everything home (I told them this was the result of any attempts to hurt/bother the fish). Many of us feel the loss of the "fish zen" but them's the breaks. Glad your kids are doing better!!!! :dive2: